Mumbai on alert after Afzal Guru`s hanging
Mumbai: An alert has been sounded and extensive security measures were taken across the metropolis by city police in the wake of hanging of Parliament attack convict Afzal Guru in the national capital, police said on Saturday.
All the police stations in the city were asked to remain alert even as the patrolling has been intensified.
"Deputy Police Commissioners have been instructed to remain present in their areas," they said.
Police presence was increased in the sensitive and minority-dominated areas, they said, adding that special forces like Quick Response Teams, Riot Control Units and Bomb Detection and Disposal squads were put on alert.
Security checks at the railway stations were also increased, police said.
Afzal Guru, Jaish-e-Mohammad militant convicted in the audacious attack on Parliament in 2001, was hanged this morning in Tihar Jail in an operation shrouded in secrecy, five days after his mercy plea was rejected by the President.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- UP polls: Top 5 highlights of PM Modi's speech in Bahraich
- Is Samajwadi Party-Congress alliance just a compulsion for Akhilesh Yadav?
- NASA discovers seven Earth-like planets orbiting a single star
- BMC election results 2017: Shiv Sena ahead as single largest party
- UP polls: When fans played spoilsport for SP star campaigner Dimple Yadav
- Reliance Jio Vs Airtel free data plan: A comparison
- BMC election 2017 results: As it happened
- How Kashmiris use children for 'meri jaan Pakistan' type 'freedom struggle' - WATCH
- WATCH: When Matthew Renshaw left everybody surprised by 'retiring ill' on Day 1 of India-England Test
- Maharashtra Civic Poll Results 2017: As it happened on Thursday