Mumbai on alert after Afzal Guru`s hanging
Mumbai: An alert has been sounded and extensive security measures were taken across the metropolis by city police in the wake of hanging of Parliament attack convict Afzal Guru in the national capital, police said on Saturday.
All the police stations in the city were asked to remain alert even as the patrolling has been intensified.
"Deputy Police Commissioners have been instructed to remain present in their areas," they said.
Police presence was increased in the sensitive and minority-dominated areas, they said, adding that special forces like Quick Response Teams, Riot Control Units and Bomb Detection and Disposal squads were put on alert.
Security checks at the railway stations were also increased, police said.
Afzal Guru, Jaish-e-Mohammad militant convicted in the audacious attack on Parliament in 2001, was hanged this morning in Tihar Jail in an operation shrouded in secrecy, five days after his mercy plea was rejected by the President.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- BJP MP Yogi Adityanath compares Akhilesh Yadav with 'Aurangzeb' and 'Kans'
- Acrimonious remarks of political leaders during UP elections
- UP polls: When fans played spoilsport for SP star campaigner Dimple Yadav
- Have political parties diverted from development agenda in UP elections?
- Pakistan cancels licenses of weapons issued to Hafiz Saeed and his aides
- Reliance Jio's tariff plan from April 1; voice calls, roaming to be free: Mukesh Ambani
- BMC exit poll: BJP predicted to score big in neck-and-neck battle with Shiv Sena
- How Kashmiris use children for 'meri jaan Pakistan' type 'freedom struggle' - WATCH
- Reliance Jio Prime Membership at Rs 99: All you need to know about the plan
- 'Intolerance brigade' attacks Zee News' #FatehKaFatwa host Tarek Fateh - WATCH