Mumbai on alert after Afzal Guru`s hanging
Mumbai: An alert has been sounded and extensive security measures were taken across the metropolis by city police in the wake of hanging of Parliament attack convict Afzal Guru in the national capital, police said on Saturday.
All the police stations in the city were asked to remain alert even as the patrolling has been intensified.
"Deputy Police Commissioners have been instructed to remain present in their areas," they said.
Police presence was increased in the sensitive and minority-dominated areas, they said, adding that special forces like Quick Response Teams, Riot Control Units and Bomb Detection and Disposal squads were put on alert.
Security checks at the railway stations were also increased, police said.
Afzal Guru, Jaish-e-Mohammad militant convicted in the audacious attack on Parliament in 2001, was hanged this morning in Tihar Jail in an operation shrouded in secrecy, five days after his mercy plea was rejected by the President.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Sheena's diary reveals disturbed relationship with parents: DNA reports
- Shameless cheating in exams, when will Bihar learn?
- Setback for Air India as 30 Boeing 787 Dreamliner pilots resign
- Sheena case: Indrani quizzed jointly with Peter, denies killing daughter
- Trade unions` strike hits normal life across India
- Sonakshi Sinha silences Twitter troll for calling her ugly and it's epic!
- Furkan, not Tiger Memon, arrested in Pakistan
- Modi effect! Pakistan-occupied Kashmir wants to be part of India
- Sheena Bora murder saga: 12 questions that police asked Peter Mukerjea during 12-hour grilling?
- Parineeti Chopra turns 'sexy pari' for sizzling photo-shoot