Mumbai on high alert for ‘very heavy’ rains
Mumbai: The India Meteorological Department has warned that heavy to very heavy rains will hit Mumbai and coastal Konkan over the next 72 hours.
All agencies concerned with disaster management, relief and rescue operations have been put in a state of high alert and people have been warned against venturing outdoors unless absolutely essential.
IMD Mumbai director VK Rajeev said that entire Maharashtra is expected to get heavy to very heavy rainfall in the next 12-72 hours.
"Heavy to very heavy rainfall will occur at many places in Konkan, central Maharashtra and Marathwada. Similarly, Mumbai will experience heavy to very heavy rains in the next 72 hours," Rajeev said.
He explained that heavy rains implied 7-14 cm and very heavy rains meant 14-25 cm within a 24-hour rain cycle.
Incessant rains have lashed Mumbai, Konkan, western Maharashtra and Vidarbha since early Tuesday.
Several parts of Mumbai have been waterlogged and flooded since Tuesday morning, severely restricting traffic movement and delaying local trains on Central Railway and Western Railway by 20-30 minutes.
Roads in south-central Mumbai areas of Dadar, Wadala, Sion, Parel, Byculla, Govandi, Kurla, Malad, Jogeshwari, Santacruz, Dahisar, Bhandup and other suburbs were flooded at many places and traffic had to be diverted to alternative routes.
According to BMC Disaster Management Cell, at 1 pm, the city received 4.17 cm rain, eastern suburbs 4.32 cm and western suburbs 3.06 cm.
Many private offices in the affected areas allowed their employees to leave early in view of the constant downpour and disruption in road and rail services.
The situation was identical in adjoining Thane and Raigad districts with rains since Monday night severely disrupting road and rail communication with Mumbai.
Meanwhile, IMD officials have asked people to ignore any SMS warning of heavy floods in Mumbai, saying these are being circulated by rumour-mongers.
Download the all new Zee News app for Android and iOS to stay up to date with latest headlines and news stories in Politics, Entertainment, Sports, Technology, Business and much more from India and around the world.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- DNA: Exiled Kashmiri Pandits share their heart wrenching stories
- Basic ideals of Constitution are in danger: Sonia Gandhi
- PM Modi greets nation on occasion of first Constitution Day
- Manjula Vaghela's journey: From rag picker to head of a firm with Rs 1 cr turnover!
- Indian Army faces shortage of field firing ranges in J&K
- Woman commits suicide after heated discussion with husband over Aamir Khan's intolerance remark
- Eat smart to slow down ageing and increase longevity!
- Intolerance issue: Those attacking me are only proving my point, says Aamir Khan – Read full statement
- Setback to Kejriwal-led AAP as MLA Akhilesh Tripathi arrested in riot case
- 10 interesting facts about Constitution which every Indian must know