Mumbai police beats retreat on action against couples
Mumbai: After cautioning couples against meeting in isolated places, the Mumbai police late on Thursday night backtracked saying it would not book such couples.
Mumbai Police spokesperson Ambadas Pote told a leading national daily that they are amending the circular and would not book couples found meeting in isolated places. Instead, the police would increase vigilance to ensure they are not troubled by anti-social elements, Pote added.
Describing it as a "preventive" step aimed at saving such couples from becoming victim of miscreants, Mumbai Police Commissioner Satyapal Singh had at a recent meeting given instructions to all the police stations to keep a vigil at isolated places in their jurisdictions where couples often meet and ask them to vacate such places.
As per the original plan, the couples would have been first asked to leave the place. In case they failed to listen, action would have been initiated against them under relevant sections of the Bombay Police Act.
The circular came in wake of the Delhi gang-rape case last month that rocked the nation.
Many couples are often found sitting at Mumbai`s beaches and other isolated places.
The places identified for the purpose include - Sanjay Gandhi National Park, Worli Sea Face, Marine Drive, Bandra Band Stand, Versova beach, Aksa beach, Dadar Chowpatty, Madh Island, Gorai, Manori beach, Girgaum Chowpatty and Juhu beach.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Is Samajwadi Party-Congress alliance just a compulsion for Akhilesh Yadav?
- UP polls: When fans played spoilsport for SP star campaigner Dimple Yadav
- Have political parties diverted from development agenda in UP elections?
- Pakistan cancels licenses of weapons issued to Hafiz Saeed and his aides
- DNA: How India became world's largest arms importer
- BMC election 2017 results LIVE: Massive surge in BJP's seats; counting underway
- BMC exit poll: BJP predicted to score big in neck-and-neck battle with Shiv Sena
- How Kashmiris use children for 'meri jaan Pakistan' type 'freedom struggle' - WATCH
- Maharashtra Civic Poll Results 2017 LIVE: Shiv Sena, BJP supporters clash in Mumbai; Congress wiped out from state
- Solapur Municipal Corporation Elections 2017 Results LIVE: Asaduddin Owaisi's AIMIM bags 5 seats; counting underway