Mumbai police beats retreat on action against couples
Mumbai: After cautioning couples against meeting in isolated places, the Mumbai police late on Thursday night backtracked saying it would not book such couples.
Mumbai Police spokesperson Ambadas Pote told a leading national daily that they are amending the circular and would not book couples found meeting in isolated places. Instead, the police would increase vigilance to ensure they are not troubled by anti-social elements, Pote added.
Describing it as a "preventive" step aimed at saving such couples from becoming victim of miscreants, Mumbai Police Commissioner Satyapal Singh had at a recent meeting given instructions to all the police stations to keep a vigil at isolated places in their jurisdictions where couples often meet and ask them to vacate such places.
As per the original plan, the couples would have been first asked to leave the place. In case they failed to listen, action would have been initiated against them under relevant sections of the Bombay Police Act.
The circular came in wake of the Delhi gang-rape case last month that rocked the nation.
Many couples are often found sitting at Mumbai`s beaches and other isolated places.
The places identified for the purpose include - Sanjay Gandhi National Park, Worli Sea Face, Marine Drive, Bandra Band Stand, Versova beach, Aksa beach, Dadar Chowpatty, Madh Island, Gorai, Manori beach, Girgaum Chowpatty and Juhu beach.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Indian Army conducts surgical strikes across LoC: Watch DGMO Lt Gen Ranbir Singh's PC
- Exclusive: This is what Kashmir's stone pelters have to say!
- Panel discussion on 'Most Favoured Nation' status India accorded to Pakistan in 1996
- Will India's SAARC summit boycott change Pak's attitude towards terrorism?
- Former bureaucrat BK Bansal commits suicide along with his son at Delhi residence
- SETBACK! Sedition case against 200 Congress workers for shouting 'Pakistan Zindabad' slogans during rally for Uri martyrs
- What is surgical strike and how it is conducted - MUST KNOW for every Indian
- US NSA Susan Rice calls Ajit Doval, says 'expect Pakistan to take action against terror’
- Did Arvind Kejriwal tweet in favour of Pakistan over Uri attacks? Here is what Twitter says
- LIVE: Indian Army destroys 7 terror launch pads across Line of Control