Mumbai police cancel permit for Muslim rally
Mumbai: In a surprise move, the Mumbai police have refused to allow a 300-km long Muslim reservation march from entering Azad Maidan on Monday, the organisers said here on Saturday.
"The Muslim Reservation Federation (MRF) had applied for permission April 30 for the march to culminate at Azad Maidan. It had started from Malegaon eight days ago," said MRF spokesperson Halim Siddiqui.
"In a last minute move, Mumbai police suddenly cancelled the permission citing violence which had erupted there during a rally in August 2012," Siddiqui told a news agency.
An alternate venue offered is the KJ Somaiya grounds in the eastern suburb of Vidyavihar, but the organisers feel it would be out of the way for many people from Maharashtra who are expected to participate in the rally.
MRF office-bearers are upset with Mumbai police authorities for intimating them the decision on a Friday afternoon, which did not give them time to challenge it before the courts.
The 2,000-strong march has reached Bhiwandi in Thane district and is expected to reach Mumbai Monday morning, said Siddiqui.
The rally, in which around 50-60 Muslim representatives from all cities in the state have been called, could see around 6,000-8,000 participants.
The MRF, an umbrella organisation of over a dozen Muslim groups in the state, is demanding 20 percent reservation in government jobs and admission to government colleges and institutions.
Download the all new Zee News app for Android and iOS to stay up to date with latest headlines and news stories in Politics, Entertainment, Sports, Technology, Business and much more from India and around the world.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- DNA: Exiled Kashmiri Pandits share their heart wrenching stories
- Basic ideals of Constitution are in danger: Sonia Gandhi
- DNA: 7th anniversary of 26/11 attacks, Nation pays homage to martyrs
- Candid chat with 'Tamasha' stars Deekipa Padukone, Ranbir Kapoor
- Panel discussion on Rajnath Singh's remarks on secularism in Parliament
- Woman commits suicide after heated discussion with husband over Aamir Khan's intolerance remark
- Setback to Kejriwal-led AAP as MLA Akhilesh Tripathi arrested in riot case
- See pic: Genelia marks son's birthday!
- Bigg Boss, Day 46: Priya Malik urinates inside the car!
- READ: New twist in Karisma Kapoor, Sunjay Kapur divorce saga!