Mumbai police chief criticised for his "promiscuous" remark
Mumbai: A social activist has criticised Mumbai Police Commissioner Satyapal Singh over his remarks on a TV programme, justifying moral policing and blaming "promiscuous culture" for an unsafe city.
Singh had said during a viewers` call-in show, "We have to strike a balance. On one hand you want to have a promiscuous culture and on the other hand you want a safe and secure environment for the people."
Singh made these remarks just when the Mumbai Police were getting praises for handling of the gang-rape of a photo journalist in the city.
"Girls aged 4, 6, 8, 10 and 11 years have been raped, many of them, most cruelly. Mr Singh needs to tell us whether they were promiscuous and provoked the rapists," social activist Gerson da Cunha said.
"It is clear that molestation of women is done by a criminal mind from whom we desire protection by the police. Such persons exploit deserted places and by Singh`s own admission, there are 242 such places in the city that the police have identified," da Cunha, convenor of NGO AGNI informed.
"These places need to be made secure with whatever force is required," he said.
"The commissioner has said beat patrolling requires more staff than he can deploy. But he seems to have no difficulty in providing half of his police force, 27,000 out of 40,000, to VIP security and bandobast," he said.
"Singh cannot possibly believe that the kind of politicians we have deserve more protection than we ordinary citizens and specially women," da Cunha said.
"This is something that he and others in charge of police must take urgent note of," he added.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Over 60 cadets killed in Pakistan police academy attack
- DNA: Exclusive report on the extreme sacrifices made by ITBP soldiers
- Watch: PM Narendra Modi's ''progressive'' remark on triple talaq
- I pay my tribute to martyr Naresh Pal: PM Narendra Modi
- Some people are creating confusion between me and my father: Akhilesh Yadav
- Explosion in Delhi's Naya Bazar, one killed; anti-terror wing, Special cell at spot
- This is why Cyrus Mistry was removed as Chairman of Tata Sons!
- WATCH: Akhilesh Yadav's emotional speech revealing the real reason behind Samajwadi Party crisis; he was about to cry
- Prompt action on border pushes Pak to offer olive branch, says both sides need to 'formalise' 2003 ceasefire
- 7th Pay Commission: Committee on Allowances proposes hike in HRA for central govt employees