Mumbai police chief criticised for his "promiscuous" remark
Mumbai: A social activist has criticised Mumbai Police Commissioner Satyapal Singh over his remarks on a TV programme, justifying moral policing and blaming "promiscuous culture" for an unsafe city.
Singh had said during a viewers` call-in show, "We have to strike a balance. On one hand you want to have a promiscuous culture and on the other hand you want a safe and secure environment for the people."
Singh made these remarks just when the Mumbai Police were getting praises for handling of the gang-rape of a photo journalist in the city.
"Girls aged 4, 6, 8, 10 and 11 years have been raped, many of them, most cruelly. Mr Singh needs to tell us whether they were promiscuous and provoked the rapists," social activist Gerson da Cunha said.
"It is clear that molestation of women is done by a criminal mind from whom we desire protection by the police. Such persons exploit deserted places and by Singh`s own admission, there are 242 such places in the city that the police have identified," da Cunha, convenor of NGO AGNI informed.
"These places need to be made secure with whatever force is required," he said.
"The commissioner has said beat patrolling requires more staff than he can deploy. But he seems to have no difficulty in providing half of his police force, 27,000 out of 40,000, to VIP security and bandobast," he said.
"Singh cannot possibly believe that the kind of politicians we have deserve more protection than we ordinary citizens and specially women," da Cunha said.
"This is something that he and others in charge of police must take urgent note of," he added.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Watch: Wife catches husband with his girlfriend at Goa Airport
- Dr Subhash Chandra Show: There are no shortcuts to success, says Dr Chandra
- 'Mann ki Baat': Will implement 13 new pointers to Land Bill from today itself, says PM Modi
- Watch 15 reports from 15 cities
- Sheena murder case: Unfolding deceit, lies and murder!
- Know box-office report of Saif-Katrina's 'Phantom'
- Sheena Bora murder case: Indrani Mukerjea's ex-husband Sanjeev Khanna, driver taken to Raigad to recreate crime scene
- Wife catches husband along with his girlfriend at Goa airport, video goes viral – Watch
- Bihar polls 2015: Lalu pacifies 'upset' Mulayam ahead of Mahagatbandhan rally, offers 5 seats to SP
- Indrani's former brother-in-law claims Sheena was Siddharth Das' daughter