Mumbai Police commissioner wields baton against `spicy` ring tones
Mumbai: City Police Commissioner Arup
Patnaik in a bid to further discipline the force, has
instructed his men to refrain from setting "item numbers" or
"vulgar songs" as ring tones for their mobile phones, said a
senior police official.
The top cop has issued a circular after he found that
two constables in Kurla police station had set up popular
Bollywood item numbers as their ring tones, the official said
on condition of anonymity.
The circular said that the step was being taken to
help the police force to conduct itself with dignity, the
On Friday night, Patnaik had paid a surprise visit to
the police station and was giving instructions to constables
when their cell phones buzzed with the item numbers, sources
Their mobiles were immediately seized and the two
constables were summoned to Police Headquarters. As the
two collected their mobile handsets, the CP issued a circular,
When contacted, Deputy Police Commissioner
(Operations) Rajkumar Vhatkar said, "He (Patnaik) wants to
bring more and more discipline in the force. When such ring
tones start ringing, it gives a wrong impression about the
force. It was advised to either assign simple ring tones or
set up some decent songs as ring tones.
Earlier in an unusual circular in March, Patnaik had
warned his subordinates not to "interrupt" him while he is
having conversation and if they do, it would invite adverse
remarks in their Annual Confidential Report (ACR).
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Afzal Guru row: JNU Students' Union president Kanhaiya Kumar arrested
- DNA: Analysis on actions taken against students protesting at JNU
- DNA: Analysis on actions taken against students protesting at JNU - Part II
- Watch: How students at JNU showcased anti-India spirit! - Part II
- DNA: Gravitational waves detected, proving Einstein right!
- VIDEO: Shikhar Dhawan reveals impact of Yuvraj Singh in India dressing room
- Kidnappers treated me well, gave me money to reach home: Snapdeal executive Dipti Sarna's 36-hour ordeal
- Why Modi never spoke on issues like beef or Muzaffarnagar, asks Manmohan Singh
- Valentine week: Celebrate 'Kiss Day' with these unique kisses!
- 4th ODI: South Africa vs England - Hosts win game by solitary wicket to level series