Mumbai Police order probe into `hate` poem by Insp
Mumbai: Mumbai Police have ordered an enquiry into a controversial poem published in the force`s in-house magazine about last year`s Azad Maidan protesters.
Deputy Commissioner of Police SS Gholap has been instructed to conduct an enquiry into the poem and how it got published in the magazine `Samwaad`, Police Commissioner Satyapal Singh told PTI on Tuesday.
Gholap is expected to submit the enquiry report in a fortnight, police sources said.
A woman Inspector, Sujata Patil, attached with Matunga traffic police, called protesters at Azad Maidan here as "snakes" and "traitors" in her poem and suggested that their hands should have been "chopped off".
A complaint was filed in this regard with the Home department, Police Commissioner`s office and Azad Maidan police station yesterday by Ameen Mustafa Idrisi, who runs an NGO, and Nazar Mohammed Siddique, who was arrested for the August 11 violence and is now out on bail.
The complainants sought registration of an FIR against Singh, Joint Commissioner of Police (Administration) Hemant Nagarale, Patil, publisher and other unknown "conspirators".
Patil has already tendered an apology for the poem that has embarrassed Mumbai Police whose personnel were at the receiving end of agitators, who had gathered to denounce alleged atrocities on Muslims in Assam and Myanmar.
"Sujata Patil has apologised in writing. She has said she did not intend to hurt anybody`s religious sentiments. The written unconditional apology would be published in the next edition of Samwaad," Nagarale said yesterday.
Two people were killed and over 50 injured, most of them police personnel and media persons, when the agitation turned violent.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Indian Army conducts surgical strikes across LoC: Watch DGMO Lt Gen Ranbir Singh's PC
- Indian Army targets terror camps across LoC; Pak PM Sharif condemns
- Pak forces will teach Zee News what real surgical strike is: Hafiz Saeed
- 7 terror camps destroyed by Indian Army in surgical strikes
- DNA: Indian Army carries out surgical strikes across LoC
- Hafiz Saeed threatens Zee News, says Pak forces will teach what real surgical strikes are
- What is surgical strike and how it is conducted - MUST KNOW for every Indian
- Pak postpones SAARC Summit after five member states pull out of conference: As it happened
- SALUTE! Brave Indian army commandos give befitting reply to Pak-sponsored terrorists
- Surgical strikes across LoC in Pakistan were filmed, videos kept as proof