Mumbai police preparing dossier on Iqbal Mirchi
Mumbai: In order to expedite extradition of
underworld don Dawood Ibrahim`s key aide Iqbal Memon alias
`Iqbal Mirchi`, who was arrested in London, a dossier is being
prepared, police said on Wednesday.
"We have begun the legal process to extradite Memon at
the earliest and are preparing a dossier with details about
the man who has at least 12 cases, including murder, attempt
to murder and narcotics, registered against him in the
metropolis," Joint Police Commissioner (Crime) Himanshu Roy
"The dossier would be sent to CBI`s Interpol wing which
will send it to officials concerned in the UK through proper
channel," he said, adding that "officially we are yet to get
information about Memon`s arrest but we are getting ready by
checking his past criminal record to prepare the dossier."
Iqbal Memon, who was ranked among the top 50 drug lords
in the world by the UN, had escaped from the city in 1989 and
used to shuttle between Dubai and London for several years,
Subsequently, he settled in London looking after the
properties of Dawood, he added.
City police have details regarding four properties of
Dawood in London, sources said, adding "Iqbal was involved in
money laundering at the behest of Dawood."
61-year-old Mirchi was arrested in London yesterday.
"He could have been arrested for allegedly threatening
a person in London," sources said.
Memon has two wives namely Azara and Heena Kausar, the
latter a former B-grade actress in Bollywood, Roy said,
adding she is a resident of Nagpada area in south Mumbai.
"From the records we have, Memon is wanted in two murder
cases, three narcotics cases, two attempt to murder cases and
four threatening and extortion cases. There could be some more
cases against him," the officer added.
Since the cases date back to 1980s and 1990s, police are
finding it difficult to get all the documents pertaining to
Memon`s crime record, police sources said.
Memon, who began his career in the underworld as a
smuggler, gradually became a big drug peddler around
mid-1980s. A consignment of over 80 lakh Mandrax tablets
dispatched by him had been seized then.
He acquired the moniker, `Mirchi`, from his family`s
traditional business in red chili powder. Most of his wealth
has found its way into real estate.
Memon had, on an earlier occasion, been detained in
London but the UK authorities then turned down India`s request
for his extradition then.
However, this time, the sources said, they were hopeful
of making a headway against him on the back of evidence being
gathered by the Mumbai police.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- What Muslims think about Ram Mandir issue?
- Shiv Sena MP Ravindra Gaikwad barred from flying after his assault on AI staffer
- Air India lodges FIR against Shiv Sena MP Ravindra Gaikwad for assaulting staffer
- What Hindu saints think about Ram Mandir issue?
- Yogi Adityanath to visit Gorakhpur for first time today after becoming UP CM
- WATCH: Skipper Virat Kohli carries drinks for Team India
- Mulayam Singh Yadav's son Prateek, his daughter-in-law Aparna meet UP CM Yogi Adityanath - Know why
- Mohanlal's 'Manyam Puli' has a BREATHTAKING scene where TIGER attacks a boy! WATCH 'Pulimurugan' clip
- Yogi Adityanath meets gang-rape survivor, who was forced to drink acid, at Lucknow hospital; two arrested
- Know how to link your PAN card with Aadhaar card – Here is the step by step explanation