Mumbai: Probe report on chlorine gas leak within two weeks
Mumbai: An inquiry report by Mumbai Port
Trust (MPT) into the chlorine gas leakage incident would be
ready within two weeks, while the process of neutralising the
gas from the cylinders is in full swing.
Under the directive of Shipping Ministry, Deputy Chairman
Shreekant Singh of Mumbai Port Trust was conducting an inquiry
into the incident, MPT Chairman Rahul Asthana told agency.
"The inquiry report would be ready within two weeks," he
said, adding the consignment had been imported by Mumbai-based
Agro Gases Pvt Ltd but it did not claim them due to some
"The report will have complete details as to why the
cylinders were lying there since over a decade," he added.
On Wednesday, over 120 fell sick after inhaling the
chlorine gas leaked from one of the 136 cylinders lying in MPT
premises at Sewree in south Mumbai for last several years.
Meanwhile, the process of neutralising the gas from three
cylinders simultaneously by the team of National Disaster
Response Force (NDRF) and other experts, is still underway, a
police officers said.
Of the 136 cylinders, only six contained the gas while
one of them that leaked on Wednesday had been neutralised on
the same day.
"Yesterday neutralisation process of three chlorine gas
cylinders was undertaken simultaneously using two lorry
tankers full of mixture of solution of lime, water and sodium
hydroxide (caustic soda)," DCP Kaisar Khalid said, adding the
process was still undergoing.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- 'Achhe din': Residents of PM Modi's adopted village to get free electricity, work in full swing
- Deepika Padukone, Vin Diesel in first ‘xXx: The Return of Xander Cage’ video – Watch
- Siachen miracle: Lance Naik Koppad's wife terms her husband's 'news of being alive' as 'rebirth for family'
- Siachen survivor Lance Naik Hanumanthappa brought to Delhi, Army chief Dabir Singh visits RR hospital
- How Lance Naik Hanumanthappa survived 6 days below 25 feet of snow in Siachen