Mumbai results unexpected: Maha CM
Mumbai: Conceding defeat of the
Congress-NCP alliance in Mumbai civic body polls, Maharashtra
chief minister Prithviraj Chavan said on Friday that the result was
"The result is surprising...unexpected. We tried to
consolidate secular votes but could not meet with desired
outcome," Chavan told reporters this evening.
Chavan, who played a crucial role in hammering out the
alliance in Mumbai, however, blamed Samajwadi Party for the
debacle. "The role played by Samajwadi Party was a big setback
in our efforts to stop division of the secular votes," he
Chavan said the alliance had benefited both the
ruling partners in the state government in Mumbai and Thane.
"I congratulate Shiv Sena chief Bal Thackeray and
Uddhav Thackeray. We accept defeat in Mumbai. We need to
introspect," he said.
The logic behind cobbling together the alliance was
that if secular parties came together, "we would be able to
defeat the communal forces," Chavan said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Is population control next on central govt's agenda after demonetization?
- Watch: Jayalalithaa's last rites performed by her close friend and aide Sasikala Natarajan
- Jayalalithaa's funeral procession: Sea of mourners gather to pay last respects
- Watch: Tracing the journey of late Tamil Nadu CM Jayalalithaa from films to politics
- Tamil Nadu CM Jayalalithaa's condition extremely grave
- RIP Amma: Jayalalithaa dies after 75 days in hospital; Tamil Nadu mourns
- RBI to issue new Rs 100 banknotes, old notes to continue as legal tender
- Airtel’s free 4G internet offer may be a ploy to steal your data
- J Jayalalithaa passes away: Know what all she left behind in assets
- RIP Amma: When Jayalalithaa sang one of her favourite songs, that too in Hindi - WATCH