Mumbai results unexpected: Maha CM
Mumbai: Conceding defeat of the
Congress-NCP alliance in Mumbai civic body polls, Maharashtra
chief minister Prithviraj Chavan said on Friday that the result was
"The result is surprising...unexpected. We tried to
consolidate secular votes but could not meet with desired
outcome," Chavan told reporters this evening.
Chavan, who played a crucial role in hammering out the
alliance in Mumbai, however, blamed Samajwadi Party for the
debacle. "The role played by Samajwadi Party was a big setback
in our efforts to stop division of the secular votes," he
Chavan said the alliance had benefited both the
ruling partners in the state government in Mumbai and Thane.
"I congratulate Shiv Sena chief Bal Thackeray and
Uddhav Thackeray. We accept defeat in Mumbai. We need to
introspect," he said.
The logic behind cobbling together the alliance was
that if secular parties came together, "we would be able to
defeat the communal forces," Chavan said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- There will be earthquake if I speak on demonetisation: Rahul Gandhi
- Opposition observes 'black day' to mark one month of demonetisation
- Zee Media Exclusive: A reality check on public opinion on notes ban!
- Panel discussion on the decision of demonetisation
- Watch shocking visuals - Speeding car rams pedestrians in Kolkata, 3 killed
- Yuvraj Singh-Hazel Keech Reception: MS Dhoni, Sourav Ganguly, Virender Sehwag attend lavish party — PHOTOS INSIDE
- SC asks govt if demonetisation was confidential; to judge if policy unconstitutional
- Mongolia seeks India's financial aid, Chinese official media says it's 'insane'
- Reliance Jio effect: Airtel offers free unlimited local and STD calls with 4G data at Rs 145
- OMG! Man punches Kangaroo in face to save dog – Watch video