Mumbai results unexpected: Maha CM
Mumbai: Conceding defeat of the
Congress-NCP alliance in Mumbai civic body polls, Maharashtra
chief minister Prithviraj Chavan said on Friday that the result was
"The result is surprising...unexpected. We tried to
consolidate secular votes but could not meet with desired
outcome," Chavan told reporters this evening.
Chavan, who played a crucial role in hammering out the
alliance in Mumbai, however, blamed Samajwadi Party for the
debacle. "The role played by Samajwadi Party was a big setback
in our efforts to stop division of the secular votes," he
Chavan said the alliance had benefited both the
ruling partners in the state government in Mumbai and Thane.
"I congratulate Shiv Sena chief Bal Thackeray and
Uddhav Thackeray. We accept defeat in Mumbai. We need to
introspect," he said.
The logic behind cobbling together the alliance was
that if secular parties came together, "we would be able to
defeat the communal forces," Chavan said.
Download the all new Zee News app for Android and iOS to stay up to date with latest headlines and news stories in Politics, Entertainment, Sports, Technology, Business and much more from India and around the world.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Turkey has the right to defend its airspace, says Obama
- J&K: Terrorists attack Army camp at Tangdhar near LoC
- Proud to be an Indian, no plans to leave the country, says Aamir Khan
- DNA: Heart-wrenching reality of Kashmiri pandits
- DNA: Bengaluru's Mount Carmel college students show country's ideology to Rahul Gandhi
- Intolerance issue: Proud to be Indian, won't leave country, says Aamir Khan
- Watch: Chicago cop shoots a 17-year-old black man 16 times
- WATCH: Rahul Gandhi asks 'Is Swachh Bharat working', Mount Carmel girls yell 'Yessss'
- Aamir Khan's 12-day mystery: From lauding Modi's 'positive India' to dubbing India as 'intolerant'
- Yuvraj Singh completes 8000 runs in first class cricket