Mumbai safe? 229 rapes, 8 gangrapes recorded in 8 months
Mumbai: Mumbai city has witnessed 237 rapes, including eight gangrapes till August this year, with police saying that in most cases, the victims knew the accused, majority of whom were either "friends and lovers" or neighbours.
As per the information procured under Right to Information Act (RTI) by social worker Anil Galgali, as many as 229 rape cases and eight gangrape cases, including two Shakti Mills gangrapes that jolted the nation, were reported till August this year.
"The number of such cases will go up by the end of this year, as in November alone two gangrapes of minors were reported in suburban Dindoshi and Borivali," said Galgali.
Last year, 223 rape cases and eight gangrape cases were reported, while in 2011 as many as 211 rapes and nine gangrapes were registered. In 2010, a total 188 sexual assault cases while seven gangrapes were reported.
"Women are unsafe in the first place because police presence on the streets has decreased over the years," the activist claimed.
"Nakabandis are also not conducted frequently," he added.
However, police claim that Mumbai is the "safest city" in the country and in most of the cases, the rape victims have fallen prey to either "friends and lovers" or neighbours.
"If we have a look at the past cases, it will be clearly evident that the accused in rapes and gangrape cases are either friends, lovers, relatives or neighbours," said Bhagwan Chate, Assistant Police Commissioner (Spokesperson) of Mumbai police.
The incidents like Shankti Mills gangrapes are rare, he said, adding that, "We are committed to give our best to prevent all sort of crimes in the city and reduce the crime rate drastically."
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Over 60 cadets killed in Pakistan police academy attack
- Panel discussion over vote bank politics on Hinduism
- DNA: Terrorists' new strategy of snatching weapons from Indian security personnel
- Watch: PM Narendra Modi's ''progressive'' remark on triple talaq
- Panel discussion over delayed development in Ayodhya
- Explosion in Delhi's Naya Bazar, one killed; anti-terror wing, Special cell at spot
- WATCH: Akhilesh Yadav's emotional speech revealing the real reason behind Samajwadi Party crisis; he was about to cry
- India vs New Zealand: Awestruck Kiwis witness MS Dhoni driving his Hummer in Ranchi, and photo goes viral
- Lashkar-e-Toiba claims responsibility for Uri attack in posters pasted in Pakistan town
- Naya Bazar explosion: Home Ministry seeks report from Delhi Police; one dead, 5 injured