Mumbai school buses to get CCTVs to nab molesters
Mumbai: In wake of growing incidents of child molestation by conductors, city police have asked all schools in the metropolis to install closed-circuit television cameras (CCTVs) in their buses which ferry students.
Police have also asked school authorities to ensure regular check-up of drivers` eye sight every six months, besides having drivers` and conductors` antecedents verified.
"The CCTVs with at least 15 days recording facility should be installed in school buses," said a police officer.
School authorities hiring private buses for children should also go through details of the vehicles such as registration number, road permit, driver`s license, insurance and vehicle fitness.
Bus windows should be fitted with horizontal grills. Surprise checks may be conducted to see whether the driver and conductor have consumed alcohol, the official said.
Two molestation incidents came to the fore recently in the city, which prompted police to take a slew of measures to curb the menace.
In January, a 35-year-old school bus conductor was arrested for allegedly sexually assaulting a four-year-old nursery student of a premier Juhu school on a moving school bus. A month later, a 24-year-old school bus cleaner was arrested on charges of molesting a three-year-old girl in suburban Malad.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Trump-Sharif conversation: Team Donald denies Pakistan's claims
- Rahul Gandhi's and Congress' Twitter accounts hacked: Who's behind it?
- Rahul Gandhi's Twitter handle hacked again
- Hizbul commander Musa issues threats of attacks in new video
- Panel discussion over Mamata Banerjee's false allegations on Indian Army for political gains
- Gujarat businessman declares highest ever black money amount – Rs 13,000 crore!
- Army proves Mamata Banerjee wrong, releases letter showing West Bengal govt knew of exercise
- Rs 4.7 crore cash in Rs 2000 notes! Biggest seizure in new currency post demonetisation - What I-T recovered from Bengaluru, Chennai and Erode
- Manohar Parrikar exposes Mamata's attempt to politicise routine Army exercise in Kolkata
- Scam? 'Aam Aadmi Party using Delhi Transport Corporation to exchange Rs 500, Rs 1,000 notes'