Mumbai schoolboy dies while taking selfie atop train
A 14-year old schoolboy was electrocuted and died a few hours later on Tuesday evening, officials said.
Mumbai: A 14-year old schoolboy, who was trying to take a selfie on his cellphone atop a stationary train wagon, was electrocuted and died a few hours later on Tuesday evening, officials said.
The incident happened at Nahur station yard on the Central Railway when the victim, Sahil C. Eshwarkar allegedly climbed atop a goods train wagon parked there ostensibly to click a selfie.
He accidentally came in contact with the powerful 25,000 volts overhead electrical wires and was electrocuted, suffering 80 percent burns.
He was rushed to the Rajawadi Hospital nearby where he was declared dead on admission. The police have registered a case of accidental death.
A Class IXth student of the St. Francis Xaviers High School, Sahil was accompanied by some friends who had gone to try out a new mobile phone gifted by his father only two days ago.
This is the second such incident of teenagers getting killed while clicking extreme selfies rashly in the city this year.
In January this year, a 16-year old collegian Ganesh Kumkumwati met a similar fate after attempting to click a selfie atop a train wagon in Jogeshwari and touching the powerful 25,000 volt overhead wire.