Mumbai serial killer nabbed?
Mumbai: One person has been detained in
connection with rape and murder of three minor girls since
February in suburban Kurla, police said Wednesday.
The crime branch has detained a man who resembles the
sketch of the alleged suspect released by the police on
Sunday, they said, adding the person was being questioned
DNA samples of 70 people from Nehru Nagar have been sent
for testing to the Kalina Forensic Science Laboratory. Police
are also checking the record of history-sheeters who have been
earlier booked for molesting minors, they said.
Meanwhile, a special team under the leadership of two
joint commissioners of police has been formed to probe into
The team comprises joint commissioners of Crime and Law
and Order, two additional commissioners of Police of Crime and
Eastern Region and four deputy commissioners of police, a
senior official said.
Since February, three minor girls from Vatsala Tai Nagar
and Alidada Compound in Nehru Nagar area of Kurla have been
kidnapped, raped and murdered. While the first two incidents
were reported on February 9 and March 7, the third came to
light when the body of a nine-year-old girl was found inside a
room in an abandoned building on June 19 after she had gone
missing on June 6.
The body of the first victim was recovered from the
terrace of a building in police residential quarters in Nehru
The second girl was found dead in a drain in the same
The post mortem of the three victims revealed that they
were raped and then strangulated to death.
While 29-year-old rickshaw driver Mohammad Ajmeri was
arrested by the Kurla police soon after the body of the first
girl was recovered, he was granted bail by a court which
observed there was no prima facie evidence against him.
Maharashtra state Home department has announced a cash
reward of Rs 2.5 lakh to any person giving information that
would help in tracing the accused.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- India successfully test launches first ever indigenous space shuttle
- PM Modi to meet top Iranian leaders today
- Pakistan denounces US drone strike on Taliban chief Mullah Mansoor
- BJP's Roopa Ganguly attacked by Trinamool workers near Kolkata
- PM Modi in Tehran: India, Iran sign historic pact on Chabahar port
- French Open 2016: Andy Murray, Stan Wawrinka face Czech challenge in Paris
- Iraq PM announces start of operation to retake Fallujah
- Amnesty warns Yemen civilians face cluster bombs `minefields`
- KTM 1290 Super Duke R based Husqvarna 1301 spotted testing
- 17 girls dead in fire at school dormitory in Thailand