Mumbai SP MLA demands temporary abattoirs for Bakri-Eid
Mumbai: Samajwadi Party`s Maharashtra unit has written to Chief Minister Prithviraj Chavan demanding setting up of temporary abattoirs for the festival of `Bakri-Eid` to be held later this year.
"We have requested the Chief Minister to immediately call a meeting of administrative officers and minority affairs minister to discuss and initiate action to set up temporary slaughter houses during Bakri-Eid. It will bring relief and happiness to the minority community," SP leader Abu Azmi said here today.
A meeting in this regard was held last year presided over by the Chief Minister where the minority community was assured of a decision after Bakri-Eid, but it is still pending, he said.
Setting up of temporary slaughter houses during Bakri-Eid is a long pending demand of the Muslim community. In absence of the facility during the festival, a large number of people are compelled to perform `kurbani` (sacrifice) of cattle in their localities resulting in dirt and filth, which is also a health hazard, he said.
"The police, under pressure from communal forces, resort to harassing and arresting the people of the minority community," he alleged while adding that there is always a fear of communal tension during the festival.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Missed the dance of American President Donald Trump? - Watch it here
- Pawan, a BE student develops smart dustbin -Watch
- More than 9 lakh people participated in the oath-taking ceremony of Donald Trump
- DNA: Analyzing the harmful effects of selfies
- Report of a taxi driver who lends helping hand to patients in Mumbai
- 7th Pay Commission: Central govt employees expect Committee on Allowances report in February
- Cuttack ODI: Umpire Kumar Dharmasena messes up DRS review, twitter couldn't stop trolling
- Yuvraj Singh's wife Hazel Keech suggests new middle name for hubby Yuvi following Cuttack heroics
- India vs England, 3rd ODI: MS Dhoni felicitated at Eden Gardens — VIDEOS INSIDE
- Bigots at it again! Mohammed Shami called un-Islamic for posting picture with dog