Mumbai SP MLA demands temporary abattoirs for Bakri-Eid
Mumbai: Samajwadi Party`s Maharashtra unit has written to Chief Minister Prithviraj Chavan demanding setting up of temporary abattoirs for the festival of `Bakri-Eid` to be held later this year.
"We have requested the Chief Minister to immediately call a meeting of administrative officers and minority affairs minister to discuss and initiate action to set up temporary slaughter houses during Bakri-Eid. It will bring relief and happiness to the minority community," SP leader Abu Azmi said here today.
A meeting in this regard was held last year presided over by the Chief Minister where the minority community was assured of a decision after Bakri-Eid, but it is still pending, he said.
Setting up of temporary slaughter houses during Bakri-Eid is a long pending demand of the Muslim community. In absence of the facility during the festival, a large number of people are compelled to perform `kurbani` (sacrifice) of cattle in their localities resulting in dirt and filth, which is also a health hazard, he said.
"The police, under pressure from communal forces, resort to harassing and arresting the people of the minority community," he alleged while adding that there is always a fear of communal tension during the festival.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- One year of Modi govt: PM promises to fulfil aspirations
- Watch: Mumbai cops find new secret agents in housewives!
- Hundreds die as heat wave continues in India
- 2G scam: Ex-TRAI chief alleges Manmohan Singh had warned him to cooperate
- Pranab Mukherjee defends Bofors scam, says it was just a media trial
- Salman Khan attends sister Arpita's wedding reception in Mandi
- Zee Media's mega survey on Modi govt
- Zee Media Exclusive: Vidya Balan chats about 'Hamari Adhuri Kahani'
- Para athlete Deepa Malik complains of callous service by Air India
- I eat beef, can somebody stop me?: Kiren Rijiju hits back at Naqvi
- Smriti Irani visits Amethi, promises to pay insurance money to 25,000 women
- One year of Modi govt: Amit Shah addresses media
- Delhi: Visually impaired boy scores 91.4% in CBSE 12th Board exams
- MP: 14-year-old boy works as bonded labour since 2009
- BBV: What challenges lie ahead of Modi govt?
- One year of NDA govt: PM Modi writes open letter to nation, promises to transform India
- Arpita-Aayush wedding reception: Salman Khan spreads love in Mandi, says `hum aapke hain`
- World optimistic about India: PM Narendra Modi on 1 year of NDA govt
- MSBSHSE Class 12th HSC results 2015 to be declared at 1pm tomorrow
- CBSE Class 10 Board Result 2015 (cbse.nic.in, cbseresults.nic.in) postponed?
- Bharatiya Janata Party lacks majority for Ram Temple, Article 370: Amit Shah
- Rahul Gandhi takes a dig at one year of Modi govt, wishes 'happy birthday' to 'suit-boot ki sarkar'
- CBSE Class 10 Board Result 2015 to be announced on May 28
- Check mahresult.nic.in for MSBSHSE Maharashtra Class 12 HSC Result 2015
- AAP govt moves resolution against MHA notification: As it happened
- Maharashtra MSBSHSE HSC Result 2015 on mahresult.nic.in
- Heatwave kills 90 more in Andhra, Telangana; toll crosses 800
- Gujjars adamant on holding talks in Bayana; rail tracks remain blocked
- CBSE 10th result to be declared tomorrow
- I was misquoted, says Kiren Rijiju on 'beef' remark