Mumbai SP MLA demands temporary abattoirs for Bakri-Eid
Mumbai: Samajwadi Party`s Maharashtra unit has written to Chief Minister Prithviraj Chavan demanding setting up of temporary abattoirs for the festival of `Bakri-Eid` to be held later this year.
"We have requested the Chief Minister to immediately call a meeting of administrative officers and minority affairs minister to discuss and initiate action to set up temporary slaughter houses during Bakri-Eid. It will bring relief and happiness to the minority community," SP leader Abu Azmi said here today.
A meeting in this regard was held last year presided over by the Chief Minister where the minority community was assured of a decision after Bakri-Eid, but it is still pending, he said.
Setting up of temporary slaughter houses during Bakri-Eid is a long pending demand of the Muslim community. In absence of the facility during the festival, a large number of people are compelled to perform `kurbani` (sacrifice) of cattle in their localities resulting in dirt and filth, which is also a health hazard, he said.
"The police, under pressure from communal forces, resort to harassing and arresting the people of the minority community," he alleged while adding that there is always a fear of communal tension during the festival.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Did history fail to serve justice to Dr Shyama Prasad Mukherjee?
- Did history fail to serve justice to Dr Shyama Prasad Mukherjee? - Part II
- Did history fail to serve justice to Dr Shyama Prasad Mukherjee? - Part III
- Did history fail to serve justice to Dr Shyama Prasad Mukherjee? - Part IV
- Are central govt employees justified in demanding salary hike?
- SHOCKING VIDEO of Pampore attack surfaces online; terrorists can be heard firing indiscriminately - WATCH
- 7th Pay Commission: LIVE streaming of FM Jaitley Cabinet briefing
- Instead of holidaying in Bangkok, Ravi Shastri should have been physically present for high-profile coach interview: Sourav Ganguly
- Freedom 251: Will Ringing Bells ever deliver the Rs 251 smartphone?
- Watch: 'Kumkum Bhagya' Episode 606—Tanushree's plan to denigrate Pragya ends with a facepalm