Mumbai teen allegedly gang-raped by 3 auto-rickshaw drivers
Mumbai: A 17-year-old girl was allegedly gang-raped by four men in suburban Borivali last night, the police said here Tuesday.
Three of the four accused were arrested last night and were produced before a court today, which has remanded them to police custody until December 2, the police said.
According to the police, the victim who is a school dropout from Uttar Pradesh, resided in Ganpath Patil Nagar slum in Borivali.
The girl, who lived alone in the house after her mother abandoned her, was being taken care of by her close male friend.
"She left the house at about 8.30 pm yesterday to buy some food for herself, when she was allegedly intercepted by an auto-rickshaw driver Sonu Kamble, who was known to her," an officer at the MHB Colony Police Station said.
Kamble dragged the girl into a mini tempo parked on Link Road. Later, he was joined by his two of his friends, Jaiprakash Pal and Aslam Khan, who are also auto rickshaw drivers.
The trio took turns and sexually assaulted her, the police said, adding that, "Another person, who found something amiss in the tempo, reached there and he also raped the victim".
Hearing the girl`s screams, a passerby caught Jaiprakash who was leaving the spot and handed him over to a cop patrolling the area.
"The girl told the cops that she was raped by Jaiprakash Pal and three others," the officer said.
A manhunt was launched for the accused last night after which Sonu and Aslam were apprehended, while the fourth accused is still at large, the police said.
The accused have been booked for gang-rape, among other charges under relevant sections of the Indian Penal Code (IPC) and Protection of Children from Sexual Offences Act.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Will Akhilesh-Rahul alliance be able to trump BJP in UP elections?
- Arms case: Salman Khan acquitted by Jodhpur court
- Raisina Dialogue 2017: Pakistan must walk away from terror, says PM Modi
- DNA: Analysis of insensitivity shown by political leaders over rising poverty in India
- Are separatists scared with 'Dangal' girl Zaira Wasim's success?
- World's 30 most dynamic cities: Check out the full list
- WATCH: Kieron Pollard's incredible one-handed six demoralises Fawad Ahmed
- China State TV said that its troops can reach New Delhi in 48 hours in war scenario; Indians slay it with their replies
- IND vs ENG, 2nd ODI: Yuvraj Singh silences critics with 14th ODI hundred, fourth against England — WATCH
- Bengaluru pips Silicon Valley to become world's most dynamic city