Mumbai teenager murders grandmother for money
Mumbai: The teenager, who allegedly
murdered his grandmother with help of his childhood friend,
broke down before the police and confessed to the crime.
The brutal murder by the 16-year-old, who was arrested
yesterday, left his parents, who were present in the
interrogation room, completely shocked.
"When the parents saw their son confessing to the
crime and explaining how he executed it, they were left shell-
shocked," said a Crime Branch official, who was present in the
room where the minor was grilled.
"The parents could not believe what their son was
saying and did not utter a single word," he added.
The victim, Sarla Patel (68), was found in a pool of
blood in the bedroom of her flat in suburban Malad on Friday.
Gold ornaments and foreign currency collectively worth Rs 5.14
lakh were stolen from the flat, police said.
On Monday, her teenaged grandson and his friend, both
studying in separate colleges, were arrested. The entire cash
and valuables robbed by them were also recovered, police said.
"The duo was today produced before a juvenile court,
which remanded them in judicial custody for one day. They were
taken to a remand home in south Mumbai`s Dongri area," said
Avinash Jadhav, Senior Inspector at Malad police station.
Though investigators were convinced that it was an
insider`s job - there was no forced entry into the house -
they zeroed in on Sarla`s grandson when he claimed he did not
come home on Friday afternoon, a statement contradicted by the
The duo told police they were in need of money to
fulfil their wishes to buy a bike and splurge on `hookah` and
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Each passing year is a reward for me, says Amitabh Bachchan on his 73rd birthday
- Nitish suspends Cabinet Minister Kushwaha over alleged sting operation
- Watch: PM Modi delivers speech at Mumbai Metro Phase-II inauguration
- Shiv Sena spills ink on ORF chairperson Sudheendra Kulkarni's face
- Panel discussion on the controversial sacking of Asim Ahmed Khan from AAP
- ISL 2015: Atletico de Kolkata vs Kerala Blasters - Preview
- India planning to buy Russian S-400 Triumf air defence missile systems: Report
- How Twitteratis reacted to PM Modi calling Prakash Singh Badal 'Nelson Mandela'
- Watch: How smartly this woman steals smartphone, walks away with it
- India vs South Africa: MS Dhoni disappointed about 'gamble' not paying off