Mumbai trader`s son killed by cousin to recover IPL betting losses
Zee Media Bureau
Mumbai: The Mumbai Police on Wednesday came out with shocking details of the kidnapping and killing of 13-year-old Aditya Ranka, the son of a diamond merchant.
A 28-year-old man and his friend were arrested on Tuesday night on charges of kidnapping and murdering Aditya.
Addressing a press conference, Mumbai Police Additional Commissioner Krishna Prakash said: "The 13-year-old was attacked on his head. He was taken in a car, which the police have recovered.”
The two, having allegedly lost Rs 10 lakh over betting on Indian Premier League (IPL) matches, wanted to make a fast buck by demanding a ransom from Aditya Ranka’s father. Aditya’s cousin Himanshu, who lives opposite to his house, called him on their landline telephone on Monday afternoon and offered to take him out for a spin in a Honda City, borrowed by his friend Vijay Sanghvi from another person.
While Sanghvi took the boy, Himanshu stayed back to keep a tab on Aditya’s father Jitendra. When he received a call demanding a ransom of Rs 30 lakh, Jitendra, along with Himanshu, approached the VP Road police station. Sensing trouble, Himanshu informed Sanghvi about the police investigating the matter.
The two panicked and the 13-year-old boy`s wrist was slashed. Aditya was later set ablaze in an isolated area in Panvel.
"Since Friday, when Himanshu was in Rajasthan, the planning was on. They had Rs 10 lakh pending over the betting. They had decided that they would kidnap someone and seek ransom to pay for the betting loss. When the accused came to know that his uncle was expecting Rs 30 lakh, he decided to kidnap the 13-year-old," Prakash said.
"When he realised that the police was in action and the case is being taken up by crime branch, local police, they got nervous and then brought weapons and match box to kill Aditya," Prakash added.
Aditya`s father sensed Himanshu`s involvement in the case after he found Aditya`s slippers in his car, the police said. "The complainant was called in at the police station when we did not get any update on the boy. The complainant came in the same car that was used in the crime. One of the slippers of the boy was found in the car," Prakash said.
The police later arrested both the accused. "The accused later revealed the details of the crime based on which Himanshu and his friend were arrested. Himanshu took the child out of the house. The calls at home were made by Vijay, the friend, and later on carried the crime. The two MBA graduates gave shape to the crime," Prakash added.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- I eat beef, can somebody stop me?: Kiren Rijiju hits back at Naqvi
- Delhi: Visually impaired boy scores 91.4% in CBSE 12th Board exams
- MP: 14-year-old boy works as bonded labour since 2009
- UP: Man chops off wife's nose, hair for dowry
- Zee Media Exclusive: The plight of yoga expert Tejaswi Sharma
- Heat ave continues in India, death toll climbs to over 1,400
- Woman denied flat in Mumbai for being a Muslim
- Megastar Amitabh Bachchan slapped with Rs 1 crore notice
- 4 Indians in Forbes' 100 most powerful women list
- Kenyan lawyer offers to marry Barack Obama's daughter Malia
- Gujjar stir: HC asks Rajasthan govt to clear rail track, roads
- Gujjar stir: HC asks Rajasthan govt to clear rail track, roads- Part II
- Maggi likely to face ban in India!
- Salman Khan accident files burnt in Mantralaya fire
- AIB: The 'Third Gender's right to dignity'
- CBSE Class 10 Board Result 2015 to be announced today
- Check mahresult.nic.in for MSBSHSE Maharashtra Class 12 HSC Result 2015
- CBSE Class 10 Board Result 2015 (cbse.nic.in, cbseresults.nic.in) postponed?
- Maharashtra MSBSHSE HSC Result 2015 on mahresult.nic.in
- I was misquoted, says Kiren Rijiju on 'beef' remark
- First look: Salman Khan steals thunder in `Bajrangi Bhaijaan`
- Check cbse.nic.in, cbseresults.nic.in for CBSE Class 10 Result 2015
- mahresult.nic.in updated with MSBSHSE Maharashtra HSC Class XII Result 2015
- CBSE Class 10 (Class X Board) Result 2015 on cbse.nic.in, cbseresults.nic.in at 2 pm
- Manmohan Singh defends himself on 2G charge, slams Modi govt for 'carbon copy' schemes
- Sonia Gandhi 'unconstitutional authority' during UPA: PM Narendra Modi
- Hours after attacking NDA govt, Manmohan Singh meets PM Narendra Modi
- Reservation stir: Five percent job quota to Gujjars unlikely, hints Rajasthan govt
- PMO website revamped, now send e-mail to PM Modi directly
- Death toll climbs to over 1400 as intense heatwave continues in India