Mumbai truck seizure: I-T puts cash haul at Rs 11 crore
Mumbai: Contrary to the hype, the cash seized from four trucks on way to Gujarat, outside Mumbai Central station here, has turned out to be modest Rs 11 crore and none of it was fake currency even as estimation of gold and other valuables is going on, sources said on Wednesday.
Four trucks carrying over 150 bags of cash and other valuables were seized by the investigating wing of Income Tax and National Investigation Agency (NIA) on Monday night following a tip-off on fake currency.
"We have completed counting of cash seized from 102 bags, which turned out to be about Rs 11 crore. We are in the process of valuing gold and other valuables now," IT sources said today, adding, the ongoing valuation work will be completed by tomorrow.
Sources also said that they have not found any fake currency during the counting process.
Around 45 people, allegedly carrying bags on board of trucks, were questioned by NIA in connection with the haul.
The occupants were supposed to board a train to Gujarat with the bags, sources said.
Prima facie the cash appears to be part of hawala transaction, to be carried to Gujarat from Mumbai, they said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Indrani 'slow-poisoned' Sheena, wanted to portray Mikhail as 'mentally unstable'?
- 'Mann ki Baat': Will implement 13 new pointers to Land Bill from today itself, says PM Modi
- People have no faith left in Modi government: Sonia Gandhi at Swabhiman rally
- Will not allow any political party to join agitation: Hardik Patel
- Swabhiman rally: About Bihar's development or Narendra Modi?
- Sheena Bora murder case: Indrani Mukerjea's ex-husband Sanjeev Khanna, driver taken to Raigad to recreate crime scene
- Satire website publishes article on Osama bin Laden being alive and quotes Edward Snowden
- Indrani's former brother-in-law claims Sheena was Siddharth Das' daughter
- Sheena murder: Suitcase seized from Indrani, Peter's residence meant for disposing Mikhail's body?
- Militants kill two engineers in Pakistan airport attack