Mumbai varsity to scan exam forms to avoid mistakes
Mumbai: Mumbai University would use Ink
Character Recognition system to minimise mistakes committed by
students in filling the examination forms.
"Every examination form would be scanned under Ink
Character Recognition system by the university so that
mistakes can be found before finalising the list of the
students," Higher and Technical Education Minister Rajesh Tope
informed the Legislative Council today.
The announcement was made in backdrop of a TYBCom student
missing her exam due to wrong code number of the subject
mentioned in her examination form.
The mistake was discovered when the hall tickets were
distributed eight days before the final exam, Shiv Sena MLC
Deepak Sawant pointed out.
Tope said the mistake could have been avoided if the hall
tickets were distributed earlier.
"Considering such incidents, we would direct the
university to prepare examination details two months before
the exams, so that the students get time to correct a mistake
if any is found," Tope said.
The minister also said that high speed printing machines
would be given to the university for printing examination
papers in time. The step was initiated after TYBcom students didn`t get
Accountancy paper on the examination day this month due to
delay in printing.
"The Accountancy paper was received to the University 48
hours late from the paper setter and a notice has been sent to
him," Tope said.
The minister assured to fill 1319 vacant posts at
University and sub-centres at Dombivali and Thane to be
On bifurcation of Pune University, Tope said a committee
appointed would submit the report within three months.
The issue also figured in the Legislative Assembly.
Sena MLC Subhash Desai moved adjournment notice seeking
urgent attention of the Government into the functioning of
"The University seems to have fetish for postponing
examinations and it is affecting academic careers of six to
seven lakh students," Desai said.
The Speaker of the House Dilip Walse-Patil asked Chief
Minister Ashok Chavan to make a statement on the issue.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Congress workers blow up pigeons by blasting them inside rockets
- Lalu Yadav's son Tejasvi Yadav wants to change the face of Bihar education
- Beef row: Lalu Prasad Yadav contradicts his statements
- Indian Army 5th deadliest in the world: Report
- Indrani Mukerjea attains consciousness; is now out of danger
- Indrani Mukerjea regains consciousness, out of danger, says hospital
- Is Salman Khan - Aamir Khan friendship over?
- Dadri lynching case: Sadhvi Prachi makes provocative remark, says beef-eaters deserve such fate
- Modi must be punished, he has cheated people: Ram Jethmalani
- When Muslim dies they give 20 lakhs, but Hindu doesn't even get 20,000: Sakshi Maharaj