Mumbai violence: Police chief Arup Patnaik transferred
Mumbai: The Maharashtra government on Thursday transferred Mumbai Police Commissioner Arup Patnaik in connection with the violence witnessed on August 11.
The development was announced by state Home Minister RR Patil, who informed that senior IPS officer Satyapal Singh will be the new Police Commissioner of Mumbai.
Patnaik has been promoted as Director General and posted as Managing Director of Maharashtra State Road Development Corporation (MSRDC), Patil said.
It may be noted that the state Home Department had proposed the transfer of Patnaik who is facing flak over handling of the August 11 violence at Azad Maidan.
Shiv Sena and Maharashtra Navnirman Sena (MNS) had demanded Patnaik`s resignation over the way he handled the situation during the August 11 violence which took place during a demonstration by Muslim groups against alleged atrocities on minorities in Assam and Myanmar.
Amid reports of his impending transfer, the Mumbai Police chief had earlier tried to play down a media query on whether he would be transferred for the Azad Maidan incident.
"As I told you, I am a government employee. Ultimately whatever the government decides...whatever post it gives me, that will be fine with me. If they ask me to go on leave, if they ask me to be here, I will be here...I am under a regular job. There is no question of whether I should go or not go," Patnaik had told reporters.
(With PTI inputs)
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Opposition observes 'black day' to mark one month of demonetisation
- Panel discussion over continuous chaos in Parliament on demonetisation
- Panel discussion on the decision of demonetisation
- Cashless transactions increased rapidly following note ban
- There will be earthquake if I speak on demonetisation: Rahul Gandhi
- Was Rahul Gandhi smiling during Jayalalithaa's funeral? Twitter users share pictures as proof
- Yuvraj Singh-Hazel Keech Reception: MS Dhoni, Sourav Ganguly, Virender Sehwag attend lavish party — PHOTOS INSIDE
- Pakistan International Airlines plane from Chitral to Islamabad crashes near Havelian, 48 people dead
- PM Narendra Modi ropes in Nandan Nilekani to boost process of digital payments post demonetisation
- Reliance Jio effect: Airtel offers free unlimited local and STD calls with 4G data at Rs 145