Mumbai violence: Police chief Arup Patnaik transferred
Mumbai: The Maharashtra government on Thursday transferred Mumbai Police Commissioner Arup Patnaik in connection with the violence witnessed on August 11.
The development was announced by state Home Minister RR Patil, who informed that senior IPS officer Satyapal Singh will be the new Police Commissioner of Mumbai.
Patnaik has been promoted as Director General and posted as Managing Director of Maharashtra State Road Development Corporation (MSRDC), Patil said.
It may be noted that the state Home Department had proposed the transfer of Patnaik who is facing flak over handling of the August 11 violence at Azad Maidan.
Shiv Sena and Maharashtra Navnirman Sena (MNS) had demanded Patnaik`s resignation over the way he handled the situation during the August 11 violence which took place during a demonstration by Muslim groups against alleged atrocities on minorities in Assam and Myanmar.
Amid reports of his impending transfer, the Mumbai Police chief had earlier tried to play down a media query on whether he would be transferred for the Azad Maidan incident.
"As I told you, I am a government employee. Ultimately whatever the government decides...whatever post it gives me, that will be fine with me. If they ask me to go on leave, if they ask me to be here, I will be here...I am under a regular job. There is no question of whether I should go or not go," Patnaik had told reporters.
(With PTI inputs)
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Jamaat-e-Islami chief announces Rs 100 cr reward for PM Modi's arrest
- Zee Media exclusive interview with victim of Uber molestation
- Maggi samples found unsafe: Delhi government
- DNA: Analysis of Vijay Mallya's 'fund transfer formula'
- IMD forecasts 'deficient' Monsoon, drought-like conditions expected
- Was asked to call Sunanda Pushkar’s death `natural`: AIIMS doctor
- Maggi row: Delhi registers case against Nestle, Kerala withdraws stock from govt stores
- Rahul Gandhi hails BR Ambedkar, takes potshot at Modi-led NDA govt over IIT Madras row
- From being the ‘Dabangg’ girl to ‘Akira’ - Sonakshi Sinha’s journey so far
- China ship carrying 458 on board sinks in Yangtze River: Five dead, hundreds missing