Mumbai violence: Police chief Arup Patnaik transferred
Mumbai: The Maharashtra government on Thursday transferred Mumbai Police Commissioner Arup Patnaik in connection with the violence witnessed on August 11.
The development was announced by state Home Minister RR Patil, who informed that senior IPS officer Satyapal Singh will be the new Police Commissioner of Mumbai.
Patnaik has been promoted as Director General and posted as Managing Director of Maharashtra State Road Development Corporation (MSRDC), Patil said.
It may be noted that the state Home Department had proposed the transfer of Patnaik who is facing flak over handling of the August 11 violence at Azad Maidan.
Shiv Sena and Maharashtra Navnirman Sena (MNS) had demanded Patnaik`s resignation over the way he handled the situation during the August 11 violence which took place during a demonstration by Muslim groups against alleged atrocities on minorities in Assam and Myanmar.
Amid reports of his impending transfer, the Mumbai Police chief had earlier tried to play down a media query on whether he would be transferred for the Azad Maidan incident.
"As I told you, I am a government employee. Ultimately whatever the government decides...whatever post it gives me, that will be fine with me. If they ask me to go on leave, if they ask me to be here, I will be here...I am under a regular job. There is no question of whether I should go or not go," Patnaik had told reporters.
(With PTI inputs)
Download the all new Zee News app for Android and iOS to stay up to date with latest headlines and news stories in Politics, Entertainment, Sports, Technology, Business and much more from India and around the world.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Dr Subhash Chandra Show: How to expand your existing business
- Entire Indian force can't defend Kashmir from terrorists, says Farooq Abdullah
- Prashant Bhushan questions Arvind Kejriwal on Lokpal through press conference
- UP: DM B Chandrakala participates in anti-riots drill in Bulandshahr
- PM Modi addresses the nation during Maan Ki baat
- Women fit only to deliver children, gender equality un-islamic: Kerala Muslim leader
- Sheena Bora murder: Why did Indrani send servant to Kolkata to get illegal drugs?
- Russian MP dies while ‘having sex’ inside car - Read
- Ban on Salman Rushdie's 'The Satanic Verses' by Rajiv Gandhi govt was a mistake: P Chidambaram
- Russia strikes down Goa, India from its safe travel destinations list