Mumbai violence: Police says mob tried to kidnap injured cop
Mumbai: Mumbai police on Tuesday added the charge of abduction against protesters who turned violent during Saturday`s Azad Maidan rally, alleging that some of them even tried to "kidnap" an injured constable.
An injured constable P Sathe, attached with the State Reserve Police Force, was lifted by a group of protesters and carried away from the spot with the intent of abduction.
However, they dumped him outside Haj House building near CST Railway Station after realising that a police team was following them.
"The group abandoned him at the Haj house after spotting the police team chasing them in a bid to free the constable," a Crime Branch official said today.
Sathe, though hurt, was conscious and was rushed to a nearby hospital by his colleagues, he said.
"In the FIR, we have also included kidnapping charges as the intention of the group appeared to be abduction," he said.
According to the official, women constables who were molested during the scuffle had not come forward to lodge FIR against the rioters despite request by their seniors.
Two persons were killed and at least 52 others, including 44 policemen, were injured when a protest at Azad Maidan to condemn the Assam riots turned violent as the mob went on a rampage, torching vehicles and pelting stones, which forced the police to fire in the air and use batons to disperse them.
Police arrested 23 alleged rioters on Sunday on charges of murder, molestation and kidnapping.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- I eat beef, can somebody stop me?: Kiren Rijiju hits back at Naqvi
- Delhi: Visually impaired boy scores 91.4% in CBSE 12th Board exams
- MP: 14-year-old boy works as bonded labour since 2009
- UP: Man chops off wife's nose, hair for dowry
- Zee Media Exclusive: The plight of yoga expert Tejaswi Sharma
- Woman denied flat in Mumbai for being a Muslim
- 4 Indians in Forbes' 100 most powerful women list
- Heat ave continues in India, death toll climbs to over 1,400
- Gujjar stir: HC asks Rajasthan govt to clear rail track, roads
- Megastar Amitabh Bachchan slapped with Rs 1 crore notice
- Kenyan lawyer offers to marry Barack Obama's daughter Malia
- Gujjar stir: HC asks Rajasthan govt to clear rail track, roads- Part II
- AIB: The 'Third Gender's right to dignity'
- Salman Khan accident files burnt in Mantralaya fire
- Maggi likely to face ban in India!
- CBSE Class 10 Board Result 2015 to be announced today
- Check mahresult.nic.in for MSBSHSE Maharashtra Class 12 HSC Result 2015
- CBSE Class 10 Board Result 2015 (cbse.nic.in, cbseresults.nic.in) postponed?
- Maharashtra MSBSHSE HSC Result 2015 on mahresult.nic.in
- I was misquoted, says Kiren Rijiju on 'beef' remark
- First look: Salman Khan steals thunder in `Bajrangi Bhaijaan`
- Check cbse.nic.in, cbseresults.nic.in for CBSE Class 10 Result 2015
- mahresult.nic.in updated with MSBSHSE Maharashtra HSC Class XII Result 2015
- Manmohan Singh defends himself on 2G charge, slams Modi govt for 'carbon copy' schemes
- Sonia Gandhi 'unconstitutional authority' during UPA: PM Narendra Modi
- CBSE Class 10 (Class X Board) Result 2015 on cbse.nic.in, cbseresults.nic.in at 2 pm
- Hours after attacking NDA govt, Manmohan Singh meets PM Narendra Modi
- Reservation stir: Five percent job quota to Gujjars unlikely, hints Rajasthan govt
- PMO website revamped, now send e-mail to PM Modi directly
- Death toll climbs to over 1400 as intense heatwave continues in India