Mumbai violence was planned: Police
Mumbai: Reiterating that the August 11 violence in Mumbai was planned, the Crime Branch today told a local court that they were investigating as to how the whole conspiracy was hatched.
The Crime Branch produced the 17 accused arrested in connection with violence yesterday in the court which remanded them to police custody till August 29.
The number of accused arrested in the case has gone up to 48 with the arrest of 17 more people yesterday.
Two youths were killed and 52, including 44 policemen, injured on August 11 when a rally called to protest alleged atrocities on Muslims in Assam and Myanmar turned violent.
Meanwhile, some accused told the court that they were not part of the mob that turned violent and were falsely implicated.
One of the accused Sayed Unis said that, "I had gone for shopping with my wife and was unaware of the incident. In fact I offered to help the police to arrest a person, but later I was arrested instead."
While a woman said that her husband was called by the police to collect the lost phone of his friend, but on Wednesday, when he went to the police station, he was arrested.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- 6 leaders were in contact with Dawood Ibrahim till 26/11: Report
- Rameswaram waits to give final salute to Dr Abdul Kalam
- DNA analysis of Yakub Memon's final moments in Nagpur Jail
- SC order on Yakub Memon huge disappointment, setback: Owaisi
- Last rites of Gurdaspur attack martyr Baljit Singh in Kapurthala
- APJ Abdul Kalam's funeral to be held in Rameswaram; PM Modi to attend
- Yakub Memon hanged in Nagpur jail: As it happened
- Has President Pranab Mukherjee rejected Yakub Memon's mercy plea?
- SC refuses stay on Yakub Memon's hanging: As it happened
- 2 NDA, 4 UPA leaders were in contact with Dawood Ibrahim before 26/11: Report