Mumbai witnesses increase in number of Ganesha idols
Mumbai: Over 3000 more Ganesha idols were
immersed during the last day of Ganesh Chaturthi in the city
this year, as compared to the corresponding figures during the
same period last year, civic officials said today.
According to the Brihanmumbai Municipal Corporation
(BMC), 1,91,072 Ganesha idols were immersed yesterday, an
increase of 3,566 idols, as compared to the 1,87,506 idols
immersed last year.
The eco-friendly method of immersion of the idols
initiated by the BMC two years ago also received a good
response this year, the officials said.
Over 12,500 idols installed in households and public
venues were immersed at 19 artificial ponds across the
metropolis, as compared to last year`s figures of 8,383 idols
immersed in 17 artificial ponds, they said.
During the 11-day Ganesh festival, the solid waste
department of the BMC collected 3,200 metric tonne of
`nirmalya`, the officials said.
NGOs like United Way and Clean Mumbai Foundation along
with BMC workers had undertaken the task of keeping the
beaches clean during the immersion.
This year, the civic body maintained an electronic
database of all the Ganesha mandals to simplify the permission
procedure and also bring to book those mandals that flout
The civic body also waived off the security deposit from
Ganesha mandals and instead asked them to level up roads that
are dug up to erect make shift platforms for the deity.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- DNA: Why China stalled India's NSG membership?
- DNA: Why China stalled India's NSG membership? - Part II
- DNA : World's first' White Tiger' sanctuary opens in Madhya Pradesh
- DNA: World's first' White Tiger' sanctuary opens in Madhya Pradesh - Part II
- DNA : Dr. Subhash Chandra Show on tips for successful life
- Dominika Cibulkova stuns Agniezka Radwanska, enters Eastbourne final
- Three arrested for forcing Kerala nursing student to drink toilet cleaner
- Copa-Euro showdown: Proposal made for match between Copa America and Euro 2016 winners
- World doping watchdog WADA shuts down Rio Olympic lab
- 'What is the EU?' searches spike on Google after shattering Brexit vote