Mumbai youth gets bail in rape case, says he wants to marry victim
Mumbai: The Bombay High Court has granted bail to a 20-year-old youth arrested for allegedly raping a 16-year-old girl after both of them told the court that they were in a relationship and would like to get married.
The accused was arrested on February 21 this year by the Nalasopara police after receiving a complaint from the victim`s mother that her daughter was missing.
The victim, a Class X student, had gone missing on February 18 and was found with the accused three days later.
The victim, who is six months` pregnant now, told the police that she and the accused were in a relation since childhood and had given her consent for sexual relationship.
The accused was, however, booked for rape under IPC as the consent of a minor girl (below 18 years of age) is not considered as consent given in law.
He then approached the High Court seeking bail and said that he wanted to be with the girl during delivery of their child.
Justice Sadhana Jadhav, while granting bail recently, observed that the applicant has not denied paternity of the child. "Even the mother of the victim had earlier filed an application seeking to quash the complaint against the applicant so as to get them (victim and accused) married. In these circumstances, the applicant has made out a prima facie case for bail," the court said.
The accused has been granted bail on a surety of Rs 15,000.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- PM Modi slams Pakistan govt during his speech in Kozhikode
- Panel discussion over PM Modi's willingness to engage in direct dialogue with Pak
- Panel discussion over PM Modi's willingness to engage in direct dialogue with Pak - Part II
- PM Modi calls meeting to review Indus Waters Treaty today
- Watch: Sushma Swaraj addresses the UN General Assembly
- Donald Trump praises Hindu community's contributions to US
- WATCH: Ravichandran Ashwin's magic ball that bamboozled Kane Williamson on Day 3
- Uri effect? India, Afghanistan bypass Pak to set up exclusive air corridor
- Jio impact: Vodafone offers 10 GB 4G mobile services at 1 GB price