Mumbaikars bid farewell to Lord Ganesh
Mumbai: Amidst tight security, Mumbaikars
today bid adieu to Lord Ganesh with great pomp, as the
elephant-headed God left for his watery abode, bringing the
11-day festivity to an end.
Before noon, the large Ganesh idols in south Mumbai,
including the famous `Lalbaugcha Raja` as well as those from
Girgaum and Ganesh Galli areas began heading towards the
Girgaum Chowpaty for the immersion.
The processions all over Mumbai began with devotees
chanting `Ganpati Bappa Morya, Pudhchya Varshi Lavkar Ya`.
People, mainly youths, were seen dancing to the tune of
traditional instruments of dhol-tasha. Sprinkling of vermilion
added colour to the festive occasion.
Water fronts in Dadar, Shivaji Park, Juhu, Versova, Gorai
also saw a huge turnout of people, who gathered to witness the
According to sources, 98 Ganesh idols of sarvajanik
Ganesh mandals and 3,612 household idols were immersed by 3
pm, in the sea, ponds as well as in the make-shift tanks.
The city police have stepped up security and are on a
high alert after last week`s Delhi blast. A tight vigil was
maintained during the procession. Use of two-wheelers in
crowded areas has been prohibited.
CCTV cameras also kept a hawk`s eye on the crowd during
the immersion procession in different parts of the city.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Will Shiv Sena join hands with Congress to stop BJP from entering BMC?
- Why is Akhilesh Yadav encouraging dishonesty for votes?
- UP polls: Polling for fifth phase of Assembly elections today
- UP polls: PM Modi addresses public rally in Mau
- Report: Are mobile smartphones more unhygienic than toilet seats?
- Virender Sehwag's reply to Kargil martyr's daughter has taken the Internet by storm
- Ind vs Aus: Mohammed Azharuddin says Jayant Yadav and Ishant Sharma should be replaced in next Test
- Indian doctor rescued from ISIS recounts horror, says 'they forced me to watch videos, shot me thrice'
- Gurmehar Kaur reacts to Virender Sehwag's tweet, says she is heart broken!
- Pune Test: Virender Sehwag could have saved India from embarrassment, says former Aussie stars