Mumbra tense, additional police force deployed
Thane: Mumbra, a minority-dominated
town near here remained tense Friday following protests by locals allegedly over finding of torn pieces of Holy Quran in the fire works that were used at a function last night.
The town witnessed street protests today amid reports
that explosive powder used in fire crackers was rolled in
papers that contained verses from the Quran, police said.
The crackers were burst to celebrate the mass marriages
conducted by one Barkat Welfare Trust on Thursday while the
torn pieces of paper were found early today, they said adding
additional police force has been deployed.
A team of Rapid Action Police Force was also posted in
the town to prevent any untoward incident. A procession
organised by Shiv Sena in the afternoon on account of Gudi Padwa was cancelled following this incident.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Airtel takes on Reliance Jio yet again; offers 10GB of 4G data at just Rs 259
- Pierce Brosnan 'deeply shocked and saddened' because of Pan Masala brand ad
- Sushant Singh Rajput’s former girlfriend Ankita Lokhande’s Karva Chauth photos will surprise you
- 'Ae Dil Hai Mushkil' release: I stand with Bollywood, why punish Pakistani artistes, says Digvijay Singh
- Man divorces wife after seeing her first time without make-up!