Mumbra tense, additional police force deployed
Thane: Mumbra, a minority-dominated
town near here remained tense Friday following protests by locals allegedly over finding of torn pieces of Holy Quran in the fire works that were used at a function last night.
The town witnessed street protests today amid reports
that explosive powder used in fire crackers was rolled in
papers that contained verses from the Quran, police said.
The crackers were burst to celebrate the mass marriages
conducted by one Barkat Welfare Trust on Thursday while the
torn pieces of paper were found early today, they said adding
additional police force has been deployed.
A team of Rapid Action Police Force was also posted in
the town to prevent any untoward incident. A procession
organised by Shiv Sena in the afternoon on account of Gudi Padwa was cancelled following this incident.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- 6 leaders were in contact with Dawood Ibrahim till 26/11: Report
- Rameswaram waits to give final salute to Dr Abdul Kalam
- SC order on Yakub Memon huge disappointment, setback: Owaisi
- Last rites of Gurdaspur attack martyr Baljit Singh in Kapurthala
- DNA analysis of Yakub Memon's final moments in Nagpur Jail
- APJ Abdul Kalam's funeral to be held in Rameswaram; PM Modi to attend
- Yakub Memon hanged in Nagpur jail: As it happened
- Has President Pranab Mukherjee rejected Yakub Memon's mercy plea?
- SC refuses stay on Yakub Memon's hanging: As it happened
- 2 NDA, 4 UPA leaders were in contact with Dawood Ibrahim before 26/11: Report