Mumbra tense, additional police force deployed
Thane: Mumbra, a minority-dominated
town near here remained tense Friday following protests by locals allegedly over finding of torn pieces of Holy Quran in the fire works that were used at a function last night.
The town witnessed street protests today amid reports
that explosive powder used in fire crackers was rolled in
papers that contained verses from the Quran, police said.
The crackers were burst to celebrate the mass marriages
conducted by one Barkat Welfare Trust on Thursday while the
torn pieces of paper were found early today, they said adding
additional police force has been deployed.
A team of Rapid Action Police Force was also posted in
the town to prevent any untoward incident. A procession
organised by Shiv Sena in the afternoon on account of Gudi Padwa was cancelled following this incident.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Olympic bronze medallist Sakshi Malik returns home from Rio to grand welcome!
- Rahul Gandhi takes U-turn, says never blamed RSS for Gandhi's assassination
- Secret documents on Indian Navy's Scorpene-class submarine leaked
- PM Modi's photos, Indian flags raised during massive protests in Balochistan
- Did India become victim of Scorpene submarine conspiracy?
- 'Befikre' Ranveer Singh and Vaani Kapoor's latest STILL will make you standstill!
- Mars had climate suitable for life four billion years ago
- Wedding SONG of the year 'Nachde Ne Saare' has Katrina Kaif-Sidharth Malhotra dance to glory! Watch
- Afzal Guru event: JNU panel holds 21 students 'guilty of indiscipline'; no relief to Umar, Anirban
- Water shortage may have led to demise of Maya civilisation