Mumbra tense, additional police force deployed
Thane: Mumbra, a minority-dominated
town near here remained tense Friday following protests by locals allegedly over finding of torn pieces of Holy Quran in the fire works that were used at a function last night.
The town witnessed street protests today amid reports
that explosive powder used in fire crackers was rolled in
papers that contained verses from the Quran, police said.
The crackers were burst to celebrate the mass marriages
conducted by one Barkat Welfare Trust on Thursday while the
torn pieces of paper were found early today, they said adding
additional police force has been deployed.
A team of Rapid Action Police Force was also posted in
the town to prevent any untoward incident. A procession
organised by Shiv Sena in the afternoon on account of Gudi Padwa was cancelled following this incident.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Essel Group launches 'Asha 2022' affordable housing scheme
- Panel discussion on clashes at JNU over Afzal Guru row
- Soldier buried under avalanche found alive at Siachen glacier
- Panel discussion on detention of goat for grazing in bureaucrat's garden
- JNU students call terrorist Afzal Guru a martyr amid anti-nationalist slogans
- Drunk girl creates ruckus in Delhi's Connaught Place; arrested - Watch
- JNU erupts over 'Shaheed Afzal Guru', 'Azad Kashmir'; rival student groups clash, police deployed
- WATCH: 'Sting videos of Kejriwal govt's minister Imran Hussain's staffer demanding bribe of Rs 25 lakh for his boss'
- AAP poster showing Arvind Kejriwal with Bhindranwale sparks row in Punjab
- Video of Hanumanthappa's rescue that went viral on social media is fake - Watch