Munde was a Lok Nayak: Maharashtra Governor
Mumbai: Expressing grief over the sudden demise of Union Rural Development Development Minister Gopinath Munde, Maharashtra Governor K Sankaranarayanan today described him as a "Lok Nayak" and a parliamentarian, who never lost touch with the masses.
In a condolence message, the Governor said: "The sudden and untimely demise of Gopinath Munde barely one week after becoming the Union Minister for Rural Development, has caused deep anguish and sorrow to the people of Maharashtra. He was one of the most charismatic leaders who had the potential to provide leadership to the state and assume even higher responsibilities at the national level."
An organisation man, Munde had risen to the ranks in public life by dint of hard work, especially for the poor and the downtrodden. Despite holding various positions in public life, Munde never lost touch with the masses at the grassroots level, he said.
He was an astute parliamentarian who left his imprint on every position that he held in public life, be it as the leader of the Opposition, as state home minister, as a deputy chief minister or as general secretary of his party, he said.
"Munde`s contribution to the state was vast and varied. He was a Lok Nayak," the governor said.
He conveyed condolences to Munde`s family and to his countless admirers.
Grief-stricken BJP leaders cancelled their party meeting following the death of Munde.
"The meeting of senior office bearers of the party has been cancelled after paying obituaries to the departed leader," BJP spokesman Prem Mittal said here.
"Iti is an irreparable loss. We are deeply saddened at his passing away," former Assembly Speaker C P Singh said.
"We pray to the Almighty at this hour. May his soul rest in peace," Singh said while fondly remembering Munde`s presence during the inauguration of a statue of Shivaji in Ranchi.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Watch: How Russian special forces Spetsnaz will end terror of ISIS
- Panel discussion on BJP MLAs assaulting legislator Rashid inside J&K Assembly
- Two J&K MLAs clash over beef party issue in Legislative Assembly
- Vladimir Putin's attack on ISIS making America and NATO nations uneasy?
- Greater Noida women blames UP police for stripping off their clothes
- Latest condition of Navjot Singh Sidhu: Sherry Paaji making steady recovery!
- FIR against Asaduddin Owaisi for posting objectionable picture of Yogi Adityanath on Facebook
- Bihar has to choose between 'jungle raj' and 'vikas Raj': Narendra Modi
- Shocking! Saudi employer chops off Indian maid's hands
- Salman Khan's songs: Best five!