Municipal Council polls: Congress on top, BJP second
Mumbai: Congress in Maharashtra today bagged the highest number of 42 seats out of the total 124 in eight Municipal Councils where elections were held.
Elections to the Councils of Mahadula, Karjat, Risod, Srigonda, Sillod, Brahampuri, Sacner and by-poll in one seat in Buldhana were held yesterday and results declared today. In all 124 civic seats were up for grabs.
Congress bagged 42 seats followed by BJP (32), NCP (26), Shiv Sena (7) and MNS (1). Three Independents also won while 13 seats went to local outfits.
BJP swept the election in 17-member Mahadula Municipal Council, winning 15 seats. In Brahmapuri Municipality, BJP bagged ten out of the 20 seats. In Sacner, BJP won all the three seats in the Municipal Council.
NCP won ten seats in the 18-member Karjat Municipal Council and an equal number of seats in the 19-member Srigonda civic body.
Congress emerged as the single largest party in 26- member Sillod Municipality netting 22 seats. In Risod civic body, where 20 seats were at stake, Congress won nine.
The by-election in Buldhana was won by an Independent.
In Brahmapuri, nine seats were won by a local front. In Risod, four seats went to a local front. MNS opened its account in Sillod.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- PM Narendra Modi holds talks with Uzbek leader
- Shahid Kapoor marriage: 500 guests have been invited for the wedding, says card designer
- Shahid Kapoor-Mira Rajput wedding: Check out their first picture as a couple!
- Vyapam scam: After over 45 deaths, can Shivraj Singh Chouhan resist CBI probe?
- Vyapam scam: Congress accuses MP CM of 'misleading' people, demands his resignation