`My transfer not linked to Pune`s crime scene`
Pune: Outgoing Pune Police Commissioner Satyapal Singh has rejected suggestions that he has been transferred following a deteriorating law and order situation, leading to a rising crime rate in the city.
Singh, one of the 39 police officers transferred by Maharashtra Home department late last night, told PTI "this (rising crime graph) is a distorted and concocted picture"
sought to be projected of Pune`s law enforcing machinery. The senior IPS officer said he has not yet received official orders shifting him to Mumbai as Additional Director
Embroiled in a controversy with Minister of State for Home Ramesh Bagve over the issue of refusal to renew the Congress leader`s passport because of pending criminal cases
against him, Singh`s tenure was also marked by the February 13 bombing of the German Bakery in which 17 persons were killed.
He attracted criticism for rising cases of rape, dacoity and other anti-social activities thriving in the city.
Bagve had announced in the State Council in April that Singh would be transferred in view of rising crime rate.
However, Home Minister R R Patil, who belongs to NCP, had then defended the Police Commissioner saying he alone could not be held responsible for the state of affairs here.
Meera Borwankar, Special IG-CID, is to succeed Singh who became city Commissioner in 2008. Shiv Sena MLC Neelam Gorhe has welcomed Singh`s transfer.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Another Pakistani terrorist Sajjad Ahmed caught alive in Jammu and Kashmir
- Shocking CCTV footage of a woman assaulting her mother-in-law
- DNA: Sad reality behind the shutting down of the historic Gita Press
- Mumbai police to probe if RK Singh's claims on Dawood Ibrahim substantiated
- Twists and turns: Possible theories about Sheena Bora's murder
- Shocking update in Sheena Bora case: Indrani Mukerjea was sexually molested by her father?
- Sheena Bora was introduced to me as aunt: Indrani Mukerjea-Sanjeev Khanna's daughter Vidhie
- After Naved, another Pakistani terrorist Sajjad Ahmed caught alive in Jammu and Kashmir
- Indrani's ex-husband Sanjeev Khanna confesses to police he was involved in Sheena's murder
- Shocking revelation! Indrani Mukherjea's daughter Sheena Bora was pregnant