Nagpur: Bar association president booked for slapping constable
Nagpur: The president of Nagpur Bar Association has been booked for allegedly attacking a police constable on duty at the district court premises, police said on Saturday.
While Sudeep Jaiswal was booked under section 353 (assault or criminal force to deter public servant from discharge of his duty) of the Indian Penal Code (IPC) for slapping constable Prakash Parate, some of the members of the lawyers` body for unlawful assembly, they said.
The incident took place yesterday when the constable asked lawyer Yogita Choudhary to park her vehicle elsewhere from near the entrance gate of `Nyaya Mandir` building as it was blocking the traffic.
Police said the lawyer allegedly got into an argument with Parate and called up Jaiswal who reached the spot and after a brief exchange of words slapped him.
Following the incident, the bar association members staged a protest at the premises saying the constable had misbehaved with the woman lawyer and Jaiswal.
Jaiswal said he had explained the incident to the district and session judge.
The situation was brought under control only after senior police officials rushed to the spot.
A case has been registered against Jaiswal and some members at Sadar police station, while a complaint was also filed against Parate by Choudhary, police said.
Download the all new Zee News app for Android and iOS to stay up to date with latest headlines and news stories in Politics, Entertainment, Sports, Technology, Business and much more from India and around the world.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- DNA: List of World's 'most racially intolerant' countries
- Turkey has the right to defend its airspace, says Obama
- J&K: Terrorists attack Army camp at Tangdhar near LoC
- DNA: 12 years on, Nadimarg Kashmiri Pandits massacre still rankles
- Proud to be an Indian, no plans to leave the country, says Aamir Khan
- Intolerance issue: Proud to be Indian, won't leave country, says Aamir Khan
- Watch: Chicago cop shoots a 17-year-old black man 16 times
- Army camp attacked in J&K's Kupwara; three JeM terrorists, one civilian killed
- Aamir Khan's remarks on intolerance stir controversy; BJP slams, film fraternity split
- WATCH: Rahul Gandhi asks 'Is Swachh Bharat working', Mount Carmel girls yell 'Yessss'