Nagpur: Bar association president booked for slapping constable
Nagpur: The president of Nagpur Bar Association has been booked for allegedly attacking a police constable on duty at the district court premises, police said on Saturday.
While Sudeep Jaiswal was booked under section 353 (assault or criminal force to deter public servant from discharge of his duty) of the Indian Penal Code (IPC) for slapping constable Prakash Parate, some of the members of the lawyers` body for unlawful assembly, they said.
The incident took place yesterday when the constable asked lawyer Yogita Choudhary to park her vehicle elsewhere from near the entrance gate of `Nyaya Mandir` building as it was blocking the traffic.
Police said the lawyer allegedly got into an argument with Parate and called up Jaiswal who reached the spot and after a brief exchange of words slapped him.
Following the incident, the bar association members staged a protest at the premises saying the constable had misbehaved with the woman lawyer and Jaiswal.
Jaiswal said he had explained the incident to the district and session judge.
The situation was brought under control only after senior police officials rushed to the spot.
A case has been registered against Jaiswal and some members at Sadar police station, while a complaint was also filed against Parate by Choudhary, police said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Watch: PM Narendra Modi addressing rally in Imphal
- Will Shiv Sena join hands with Congress to stop BJP from entering BMC?
- Report: Are mobile smartphones more unhygienic than toilet seats?
- Delhi: Three-year-old twins die after falling into washing machine in Rohini
- BSF catches cow slaughter gang near India-Bangladesh border in Malda
- Ind vs Aus: Mohammed Azharuddin says Jayant Yadav and Ishant Sharma should be replaced in next Test
- WATCH: Kieron Pollard's epic celebration after destroying Lahore Qalandars in Dubai
- Indian doctor rescued from ISIS recounts horror, says 'they forced me to watch videos, shot me thrice'
- Mitchell Johnson takes a dig at Anil Kumble over calling Steve O'Keefe 'steady'
- India vs Australia, 1st Test, Day 3: As it happened...