Nagpur lawyer held for raping intern
Nagpur: A 27-year-old lawyer was arrested on Saturday for allegedly raping a law intern at a city hotel last year, police said.
The accused Shrikant Mahadeo Wandre also forced the victim to terminate her pregnancy and withdraw the complaint she had lodged against him earlier for rape by promising to marry her, they said.
According to police, Wandre engaged the victim, a second-year law student doing internship at his office, in some work till late night on August 30, 2012.
The victim had to stay back at Wandre`s office as she could not go back to her college hostel which was closed on the stipulated time, they said.
"He (Wandre) then took her to a hotel in Sitabardi area and raped her there. He again raped her the next day at another lodge," they said, adding that after the victim lodged a complaint with police on September 29 against Wandre, he made her withdraw it after promising marriage.
The victim finally withdraw the complaint on October 23.
Police said Wandre also made her undergo abortion.
"However, the victim finally lodged an FIR with Sitabardi police last night against Wandre following which we arrested him this morning and booked him under relevant sections of IPC", said an officer.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Panel discussion over continuous chaos in Parliament on demonetisation
- DNA: Know why Jayalalithaa was buried and not cremated
- 800 tourists stranded in Andamans due to heavy rains, Navy launches rescue operation
- Watch shocking visuals - Speeding car rams pedestrians in Kolkata, 3 killed
- Opposition observes 'black day' to mark one month of demonetisation
- Twitter users blast Arvind Kejriwal as he says 'Modi will never appoint a Muslim Vice President no matter what Jung does'
- Yuvraj Singh-Hazel Keech Reception: MS Dhoni, Sourav Ganguly, Virender Sehwag attend lavish party — PHOTOS INSIDE
- Pakistan International Airlines plane from Chitral to Islamabad crashes near Havelian, 48 people dead
- Gali Janardhana Reddy converted Rs 100 crore black money by paying 20% commission, claims driver's suicide note
- Was Rahul Gandhi smiling during Jayalalithaa's funeral? Twitter users share pictures as proof