Nagpur municipal polls: 1340 candidates in fray
Nagpur: A total of 1340 candidates were left
in the fray for the February 16 elections to the Nagpur
Municipal Corporation with 733 candidates withdrawing their
nominations on Saturday.
About 2093 nominations were received for 145 seats in 12
zones of which 100 were rejected during scrutiny. On the last
day of withdrawal today, 733 candidates withdrew their papers,
official sources said.
Meanwhile, the electioneering moved at a fast pace today
with major political parties distributing the AB forms to the
respective official candidates.
Congress which released its list of 83 candidates a
couple of days back faced touch situation today with number of
aspirants creating ruckus at a hotel where former Minister
Rohidas Patil, EGS Minister Nitin Raut, former Ministers
Satish Chaturvedi, Anees Ahmad were handing over AB forms.
City MP Vilas Muttemwar was away in Delhi for AICC
assignment, party sources said.
A section of women aspirants led by former city president
Kanta Parate created a scene at the hotel and hurled abuses at
Congress made few changes in the list at the last minute
to accommodate some of the disgruntled elements but only to
displease those who were earlier nominated.
The ruling BJP also disbursed AB forms at the residence
of party`s National President Nitin Gadkari in his absence.
There is also resentment in the party over distribution of
NCP which has struck a pre-poll alliance with Congress
also released the list of 29 candidates today 10 of whom are
Bharip Bahaujan Mahasangh president Prakash Ambedkar also
announced names of 25 candidates.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Congress workers blow up pigeons by blasting them inside rockets
- Indian Army 5th deadliest in the world: Report
- Beef row: Lalu Prasad Yadav contradicts his statements
- Lalu Yadav's son Tejasvi Yadav wants to change the face of Bihar education
- Indrani Mukerjea attains consciousness; is now out of danger
- Is Salman Khan - Aamir Khan friendship over?
- Parrikar hits out at Nawaz Sharif, says India doesn't need advice about troops in Siachen
- Prefer to ignore what Nawaz Sharif said at UN, says Manohar Parrikar
- Congressmen tie pigeon inside rocket to welcome their leader – A must watch for Rahul Gandhi
- Neither Dadri nor Babri: India is 'Muslim woman delivering 'Ganesha' inside temple'