Nagpur municipal polls: 1340 candidates in fray
Nagpur: A total of 1340 candidates were left
in the fray for the February 16 elections to the Nagpur
Municipal Corporation with 733 candidates withdrawing their
nominations on Saturday.
About 2093 nominations were received for 145 seats in 12
zones of which 100 were rejected during scrutiny. On the last
day of withdrawal today, 733 candidates withdrew their papers,
official sources said.
Meanwhile, the electioneering moved at a fast pace today
with major political parties distributing the AB forms to the
respective official candidates.
Congress which released its list of 83 candidates a
couple of days back faced touch situation today with number of
aspirants creating ruckus at a hotel where former Minister
Rohidas Patil, EGS Minister Nitin Raut, former Ministers
Satish Chaturvedi, Anees Ahmad were handing over AB forms.
City MP Vilas Muttemwar was away in Delhi for AICC
assignment, party sources said.
A section of women aspirants led by former city president
Kanta Parate created a scene at the hotel and hurled abuses at
Congress made few changes in the list at the last minute
to accommodate some of the disgruntled elements but only to
displease those who were earlier nominated.
The ruling BJP also disbursed AB forms at the residence
of party`s National President Nitin Gadkari in his absence.
There is also resentment in the party over distribution of
NCP which has struck a pre-poll alliance with Congress
also released the list of 29 candidates today 10 of whom are
Bharip Bahaujan Mahasangh president Prakash Ambedkar also
announced names of 25 candidates.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Munich attack: 18-year-old German-Iranian gunman kills 9 at shopping mall
- DNA: Why are politicians and media ignoring the patriotic residents of Gurez Valley?
- DNA: Why are politicians and media ignoring the patriotic residents of Gurez Valley? Part II
- DNA: Why are politicians and media ignoring the patriotic residents of Gurez Valley? Part III
- DNA: Analyzing the real problems of patriotic Kashmir's residents
- Munich shooter was German-Iranian, motive `unclear`; likely sole shooter
- 'EgyptAir Flight 804 broke up in midair after a fire'
- Warrants issued in Turkey for arrest of 300 Presidential Guards
- Democrat Hilary Clinton picks Kaine as vice presidential running mate
- Munich shooter was German-Iranian, motive `unclear`: Police