NAI, C-DAC to digitally preserve govt records
Pune: In an important futuristic project, aimed at preserving electronic public records generated through e-governance initiatives of the Central government, the city-based Centre for Development of Advanced Computing (C-DAC), has signed an MoU (Memorandum of Understnading)with the National Archives of India (NAI), New Delhi, for development of an applicable software
for the purpose.
This MoU has been signed as part of the project of `Centre of Excellence for Digital Preservation` sanctioned by the Department of Information Technology, MCIT, Government of India.
The project will be handled by the Human-Centred Design and Computing (HCDC) Group of C-DAC, which specializes in digital preservation and archival, according to Dinesh Katre, Associate director, HCDC group.
Elaborating on the project, he said, "Our endeavor would be to equip NAI for preserving the electronic records produced through various e-governance initiatives. Digital preservation is the need of the future but we have to start preparing from today (Saturday)itself as the enormous amount of digital information produced in every field is threatened due to rapidly changing technologies and obsolescence of storage devices, file formats, hardware and software. The implementation of the MoU will enable the NAI to develop the technical capabilities for digital preservation and acceptance of records."
As part of the ambitious project, funded by Department of Information Technology, C-DAC and NAI have jointly set up a Centre for excellence for digital presevation (CEDP) here to create a machinery to archive the electronic public records of
"This project, after completion of its first three year phase, will benefit the common people with an enhanced accessibility and retrieval of public records, and also help
those who seek information under the RTI act," Katre said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- DNA : When will Indian govt take strong actions against terrorism?
- Drunk girl assaults Mumbai police in Worli
- Arun Jaitley upset with Subramaniam Swami's Twitter attack
- Bombay HC to pronounce verdict on entry of woman to Haji Ali Dargah today
- DNA: When will Indian govt take strong actions against terrorism? - Part II
- Hotness overload! Ranveer Singh, Fawad Khan bromance on reel?
- NIA officer Tanzil Ahmed murder case: Prime accused Muneer nabbed by UP STF
- 7th Pay Commission: Implementation soon! Cabinet to decide on final report tomorrow
- PM Narendra Modi pays tribute to Narasimha Rao on his 95th birth anniversary
- Wanted gangster Kumar Pillai, held in Singapore, extradited to Mumbai