`Name Mumbai Central station after Rajiv Gandhi`
Mumbai: Congress MP from Mumbai North Sanjay Nirupam has demanded that the Mumbai Central station here be renamed as Rajiv Gandhi terminus.
Nirupam said 50 Congress MPs signed his memorandum addressed to Railway Minister Mukul Roy late last month.
He said he had made a mention of this demand while speaking in Lok Sabha during the debate on grants for railways. "The Railway Minister asked me to submit my demand in writing, so I submitted a memorandum signed by 50 MPs," he told reporters here today.
"The rail minister has approved the decision and he will now forward the proposal to the chief minister. There is no politics involved here.
"Mumbai is Rajivji`s birth place and the area where he was born is situated in Mumbai Central. He was a visionary leader who led the country in its growth in the 21st century and Mumbai symbolises that vision," he added.
Rajiv Gandhi`s 21st death anniversary falls tomorrow.
Nirupam said Rajiv Gandhi had sentimental attachment to the city and during his stint as Prime Minister, and had laid special emphasis on the development of Mumbai.
The 50 MPs include Priya Dutt, Eknath Gaikwad, Milind Deora and himself from Mumbai.
On why former Union Minister and fellow MP Gurudas Kamat was not a signatory, he said he did not get to meet Kamat during his signature campaign. "I am sure he too would have signed," Nirupam said.
Prominent MPs from other states who have signed the memorandum include Mohammad Azharuddin, Raj Babbar and Shashi Tharoor.
Congress has already forwarded the demand for renaming
Dadar station after Dr B R Ambedkar. However, the clearance of the proposal is pending due to objection from some parties, Nirupam said without naming Shiv Sena.
The Grant Road station can be renamed after Jagannath Shankarshet, credited with bringing railways to Mumbai, he said.
On the railway projects in Mumbai, Nirupam said the train to Konkan from Bandra Terminus will pass through Vasai, talking a halt at Borivali and Dahisar. The train will be once a week. Similarly, he has made representations for rail connectivity from Borivali and Thane.
"There should be at least a Metro or Mono rail project here," he said, adding that the Railway Ministry has forwarded the proposal to the state government.
He said the A/C suburban local in Mumbai will roll out in 2016. The plan is to have a completely air-conditioned local every one hour. He said he has also demanded that suburban railway trains have automatic locking doors like the Metro. "Even though there is opposition for it from the railways saying that it is not feasible, discussions are on," he added.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- There will be earthquake if I speak on demonetisation: Rahul Gandhi
- Opposition observes 'black day' to mark one month of demonetisation
- Zee Media Exclusive: A reality check on public opinion on notes ban!
- Panel discussion on the decision of demonetisation
- Watch shocking visuals - Speeding car rams pedestrians in Kolkata, 3 killed
- Yuvraj Singh-Hazel Keech Reception: MS Dhoni, Sourav Ganguly, Virender Sehwag attend lavish party — PHOTOS INSIDE
- Mongolia seeks India's financial aid, Chinese official media says it's 'insane'
- SC asks govt if demonetisation was confidential; to judge if policy unconstitutional
- Reliance Jio effect: Airtel offers free unlimited local and STD calls with 4G data at Rs 145
- OMG! Man punches Kangaroo in face to save dog – Watch video