`Name Mumbai Central station after Rajiv Gandhi`
Mumbai: Congress MP from Mumbai North Sanjay Nirupam has demanded that the Mumbai Central station here be renamed as Rajiv Gandhi terminus.
Nirupam said 50 Congress MPs signed his memorandum addressed to Railway Minister Mukul Roy late last month.
He said he had made a mention of this demand while speaking in Lok Sabha during the debate on grants for railways. "The Railway Minister asked me to submit my demand in writing, so I submitted a memorandum signed by 50 MPs," he told reporters here today.
"The rail minister has approved the decision and he will now forward the proposal to the chief minister. There is no politics involved here.
"Mumbai is Rajivji`s birth place and the area where he was born is situated in Mumbai Central. He was a visionary leader who led the country in its growth in the 21st century and Mumbai symbolises that vision," he added.
Rajiv Gandhi`s 21st death anniversary falls tomorrow.
Nirupam said Rajiv Gandhi had sentimental attachment to the city and during his stint as Prime Minister, and had laid special emphasis on the development of Mumbai.
The 50 MPs include Priya Dutt, Eknath Gaikwad, Milind Deora and himself from Mumbai.
On why former Union Minister and fellow MP Gurudas Kamat was not a signatory, he said he did not get to meet Kamat during his signature campaign. "I am sure he too would have signed," Nirupam said.
Prominent MPs from other states who have signed the memorandum include Mohammad Azharuddin, Raj Babbar and Shashi Tharoor.
Congress has already forwarded the demand for renaming
Dadar station after Dr B R Ambedkar. However, the clearance of the proposal is pending due to objection from some parties, Nirupam said without naming Shiv Sena.
The Grant Road station can be renamed after Jagannath Shankarshet, credited with bringing railways to Mumbai, he said.
On the railway projects in Mumbai, Nirupam said the train to Konkan from Bandra Terminus will pass through Vasai, talking a halt at Borivali and Dahisar. The train will be once a week. Similarly, he has made representations for rail connectivity from Borivali and Thane.
"There should be at least a Metro or Mono rail project here," he said, adding that the Railway Ministry has forwarded the proposal to the state government.
He said the A/C suburban local in Mumbai will roll out in 2016. The plan is to have a completely air-conditioned local every one hour. He said he has also demanded that suburban railway trains have automatic locking doors like the Metro. "Even though there is opposition for it from the railways saying that it is not feasible, discussions are on," he added.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Trump-Sharif conversation: Team Donald denies Pakistan's claims
- Hizbul commander Musa issues threats of attacks in new video
- 'Heart of Asia' Conference begins in Amritsar; Sartaj Aziz to pay a visit on Sunday
- Aware of Chinese submarine deployment at Balochistan's Gwadar port, says Navy chief
- Panel discussion over Mamata Banerjee's false allegations on Indian Army for political gains
- Gujarat businessman declares highest ever black money amount – Rs 13,000 crore!
- Army proves Mamata Banerjee wrong, releases letter showing West Bengal govt knew of exercise
- Rs 14,000 crore default case: Gujarat businessman detained, says money belongs to politicians, babus
- Manohar Parrikar exposes Mamata's attempt to politicise routine Army exercise in Kolkata
- Newly-wed couple Yuvraj Singh and Hazel Keech perform `bhangra` at Goa airport – Viral video