Named in FIR, political rehabilitation of Chavan unlikely soon
New Delhi: The FIR in the Adarsh housing scam
has dashed hopes of an early political rehabilitation of
former Maharashtra Chief Minister Ashok Chavan.
"How can a party post is possible for Chavan in the
backdrop of the FIR?" a senior Congress leader, who declined
to be identified, said.
Maharashtra Pradesh Congress Committee is yet to be
reconstituted and the reconstitution of the AICC secretariat
is also on the cards.
Chavan was asked to step down as Chief Minister some
two months back by party chief Sonia Gandhi pending an inquiry
into the Adarsh housing scam.
Reports from Mumbai had it that at least 20 Congress
MLAs from the state along with three Independents started
lobbying for the former Chief Minister yesterday.
The MLAs, who are believed to be wanting deletion of
Chavan`s name from the CBI FIR, called on Chief Minister
Prithviraj Chavan and urged him to "use his influence".
Maharashtra PCC chief Manickrao Thakre has already
distanced the party from Ashok Chavan over the Adarsh Housing
Suresh Kalmadi, who is a Lok Sabha member from Pune,
has been removed from the post of Secretary of the Congress
Parliamentary Party by Gandhi in the wake of the alleged
irregularities in the conduct of the Commonwealth Games.
Kalmadi was the Chairman of the Organising Committee for
the Commonwealth Games, a post from which he was removed over
a week back by newly-appointed Sports Minister Ajay Maken.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Will continue to be your 'pradhan sevak', says PM Modi in UP rally
- Will continue to be your 'pradhan sevak', says PM Modi in UP rally - Part II
- Will continue to be your 'pradhan sevak', says PM Modi in UP rally - Part III
- Will continue to be your 'pradhan sevak', says PM Modi in UP rally - Part IV
- Will continue to be your 'pradhan sevak', says PM Modi in UP rally - Part V
- Sensex zooms 485 points to 7-month high; Nifty recaptures 8,000-mark
- VHP accuses UP government of polarising people
- Sonal Chauhan, Ankit Tiwari's new song video 'Badtameez' is must watch for every heartbroken lover!
- State BJP, Congress, Left to boycott Mamata Banerjee's swearing-in, Arun Jaitley to attend
- Jibe at Subramanian Swamy? Arun Jaitley says he disapproves of personal attack on Raghuram Rajan