Named in FIR, political rehabilitation of Chavan unlikely soon
New Delhi: The FIR in the Adarsh housing scam
has dashed hopes of an early political rehabilitation of
former Maharashtra Chief Minister Ashok Chavan.
"How can a party post is possible for Chavan in the
backdrop of the FIR?" a senior Congress leader, who declined
to be identified, said.
Maharashtra Pradesh Congress Committee is yet to be
reconstituted and the reconstitution of the AICC secretariat
is also on the cards.
Chavan was asked to step down as Chief Minister some
two months back by party chief Sonia Gandhi pending an inquiry
into the Adarsh housing scam.
Reports from Mumbai had it that at least 20 Congress
MLAs from the state along with three Independents started
lobbying for the former Chief Minister yesterday.
The MLAs, who are believed to be wanting deletion of
Chavan`s name from the CBI FIR, called on Chief Minister
Prithviraj Chavan and urged him to "use his influence".
Maharashtra PCC chief Manickrao Thakre has already
distanced the party from Ashok Chavan over the Adarsh Housing
Suresh Kalmadi, who is a Lok Sabha member from Pune,
has been removed from the post of Secretary of the Congress
Parliamentary Party by Gandhi in the wake of the alleged
irregularities in the conduct of the Commonwealth Games.
Kalmadi was the Chairman of the Organising Committee for
the Commonwealth Games, a post from which he was removed over
a week back by newly-appointed Sports Minister Ajay Maken.
Download the all new Zee News app for Android and iOS to stay up to date with latest headlines and news stories in Politics, Entertainment, Sports, Technology, Business and much more from India and around the world.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- DNA: Heart-wrenching reality of Kashmiri pandits
- DNA: Bengaluru's Mount Carmel college students show country's ideology to Rahul Gandhi
- Proud to be an Indian, no plans to leave the country, says Aamir Khan
- Rahul Gandhi's embarrassment in front of Bengaluru college students
- DNA: Aamir Khan clarifies his love towards nation but sticks to previous statement
- Intolerance issue: Proud to be Indian, won't leave country, says Aamir Khan
- WATCH: Rahul Gandhi asks 'Is Swachh Bharat working', Mount Carmel girls yell 'Yessss'
- Yuvraj Singh completes 8000 runs in first class cricket
- Eat smart to slow down ageing and increase longevity!
- Intolerance issue: Those attacking me are only proving my point, says Aamir Khan – Read full statement