Narayan Rane defends son Nitesh`s tweets about Gujaratis
Mumbai: After Maharashtra Home Minister RR Patil said the government would examine Nitesh Rane`s controversial statement about Gujaratis living in Mumbai and take action if he was found guilty, Nitesh`s father, state Industry Minister Narayan Rane on Monday rushed to his defence.
"What Nitesh said was not against the Gujarati community or Jain community, but only against those lavishing baseless praise on Gujarat Chief Minister Narendra Modi," Narayan Rane told reporters here.
"We won`t tolerate anyone praising Modi at the cost of Maharashtra. We are not opposed to Gujaratis. I have good relations with them," Rane said.
He termed comments by his son Nitesh as "theek" (alright), adding that they had been distorted. "He only said those who want to hail Modi should go to Gujarat," the former chief minister said.
"We won`t tolerate anyone betraying Maharashtra," Rane said. "Maharashtra is ahead of other states in industrialisation," he said, supporting his statement with figures of other states.
The minister said he has advised his 31-year old son to exercise caution while posting views on micro-blogging platforms like Twitter.
"I have done my duty, as a father and as party leader. I have also put forth the party`s views. I also showed how Maharashtra is ahead of Gujarat," Rane said.
Nitesh Rane, who heads the Swabhimaan Sanghatana, had recently tweeted that Mumbai-based Gujaratis who admire Modi`s performance are free to go back to their native state, but later clarified that he had not targeted every Gujarati.
"I only said those who feel Narendra Modi is doing a good job can move there (Gujarat)," he said, adding his remarks were "not aimed against all Gujaratis, but only at those who felt there is more development in Gujarat".
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Dr Subhash Chandra Show: How to develop good communication skills for a successful life?
- Curfew lifted from 4 districts of Kashmir valley
- Recently launched Pokemon Go gaining extreme popularity among users
- Rajnath Singh meets J&K CM Mehbooba Mufti to discuss current situation in valley
- AAP MLA Amantulla Khan arrested for misbehaving with a woman
- Amaal Mallik excited about his 'Baar Baar Dekho' track
- Gael Monfils to face Ivo Karlovic in Washington Open final
- Olympics 2016: IOC faces historic call on Russia Rio ban
- Kashmir unrest over Burhan Wani's killing: Curfew lifted from these four districts - FULL DETAILS
- Salman Khan plans a special birthday party for alleged girlfriend Iulia Vantur? - Know more