Narayan Rane, Prithviraj Chavan to meet Sonia Gandhi
Zee Media Bureau
Mumbai: Former Maharashtra`s Industries Minister Narayan Rane, Chief Minister Prithviraj Chavan and state PCC president Manikrao Thakre would be meeting Congress president Sonia Gandhi, reports said on Friday.
The meeting assumes significance as Rane, who quit Prithviraj Chavan Cabinet recently, met Congress vice president Rahul Gandhi in Delhi on Thursday.
After the meeting he said that he had come to tell Rahul the reasons for his resignation.
Upset at Congress leadership not `honouring its commitment` to make him the Chief Minister, Rane quit the Maharashtra Cabinet on July 21. He had also lashed out at incumbent Chavan, saying the party`s prospects in Assembly elections under him appeared bleak.
Rane, however, said he would continue in the Congress.
A former Shiv Sena chief minister, Rane was said to be lobbying hard to ensure Chavan`s exit but apparently decided to quit as minister as the party high command appeared in no mood to heed his demand.
"Congress has not honoured the commitment it made. I was told I will be made CM in six months. But in nine years the promise has not been kept," Rane, who had been publicly claiming he was assured of chief minister`s post when he quit Shiv Sena to join Congress in 2005, told reporters, PTI reported.
He said his supporters were not made MLCs, given ministerial positions or made heads of the state-owned corporations or boards.
For Chavan he had this to say - "Victory in upcoming assembly elections under the Chief Minister`s leadership is difficult. He has a clean image but decision- making is slow, implementation of decisions already taken is tardy. This affects the people who made known their displeasure with the government in Lok Sabha polls.”
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Is Akhilesh Yadav overlooking Muslims as Mulayam Singh alleged?
- DNA: Why did Navjot Singh Sidhu call BJP 'Kaikeyi’, Congress ‘Kaushalya’?
- 38-year-old arrested for ‘raping’ minors in Delhi; assaulted over 600 girls
- BJP announces 149 names in first list of candidates for UP elections
- My father wanted me to be a man of character: Navjot Singh Siddhu
- Geeta Phogat comes to rescue of Zaira Wasim; hits out at trolls, asks actress not to apologise
- ‘Dangal’ star Zaira Wasim says I am not a role model, not proud of what I am doing
- Assembly Elections: BJP releases list of 149 candidates for Uttar Pradesh, 64 for Uttarakhand
- China's NSG stand is neither fair nor transparent, says Defence Expert
- Serial child rapist arrested in Delhi, says 'preyed on girls for sexual satisfaction, enjoyed it'