Narendra Dabholkar assassinated like Gandhi: Maharashtra CM
Mumbai: Maharashtra Chief Minister Prithviraj Chavan on Wednesday hinted at the possibility of right-wing groups being behind the murder of anti-superstition campaigner Narendra Dabholkar when he equated his assassination with that of Mahatma Gandhi.
"Forces who could not tolerate Gandhiji...Who could not tolerate his views and silenced his voice... The same way forces who could not stand the power of Narendra Dabholkar`s views have silenced his voice by his brutal murder," he said.
Terming the incident as "very unfortunate", Chavan said the case has been handed over to Mumbai Crime Branch for investigation.
"Maharashtra government is committed to bringing the culprits and the conspirators to justice," he said.
The Chief Minister also appealed for calm and said nobody should take law into their hands.
Congress spokesperson Meem Afzal commented on Chavan`s remarks by saying that "when the Chief Minister is saying, he must be having some information about the killers. May be, he is right. But how can we confirm or deny it?”
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Panel discussion on clashes at JNU over Afzal Guru row
- DNA: JNU students clash over Afzal Guru row
- JNU students call terrorist Afzal Guru a martyr amid anti-nationalist slogans
- PM Modi breaks protocol to receive Abu Dhabi Crown Prince Al Nahyan
- Panel discussion on clashes at JNU over Afzal Guru row- Part II
- Drunk girl creates ruckus in Delhi's Connaught Place; arrested - Watch
- JNU erupts over 'Shaheed Afzal Guru', 'Azad Kashmir'; rival student groups clash, police deployed
- AAP poster showing Arvind Kejriwal with Bhindranwale sparks row in Punjab
- Video of Hanumanthappa's rescue that went viral on social media is fake - Watch
- Digangana Suryavanshi chops off her mane on Salman Khan's advice—See pics!