Narendra Dabholkar assassinated like Gandhi: Maharashtra CM
Mumbai: Maharashtra Chief Minister Prithviraj Chavan on Wednesday hinted at the possibility of right-wing groups being behind the murder of anti-superstition campaigner Narendra Dabholkar when he equated his assassination with that of Mahatma Gandhi.
"Forces who could not tolerate Gandhiji...Who could not tolerate his views and silenced his voice... The same way forces who could not stand the power of Narendra Dabholkar`s views have silenced his voice by his brutal murder," he said.
Terming the incident as "very unfortunate", Chavan said the case has been handed over to Mumbai Crime Branch for investigation.
"Maharashtra government is committed to bringing the culprits and the conspirators to justice," he said.
The Chief Minister also appealed for calm and said nobody should take law into their hands.
Congress spokesperson Meem Afzal commented on Chavan`s remarks by saying that "when the Chief Minister is saying, he must be having some information about the killers. May be, he is right. But how can we confirm or deny it?”
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- There will be earthquake if I speak on demonetisation: Rahul Gandhi
- Zee Media Exclusive: A reality check on public opinion on notes ban!
- DNA: Analysis of the letter written by defence minister to Kolkata CM?
- DNA: Is political system root cause of corruption in the country?
- DNA: Analysing the importance of Hindi language in our society
- Mongolia seeks India's financial aid, Chinese official media says it's 'insane'
- PoK erupts with 'azadi' slogans; Pakistan Army brutally thrashes protesters
- Virat Kohli makes fun of Alastair Cook after England exhaust both DRS wrongly, watch video
- SC asks govt if demonetisation was confidential; to judge if policy unconstitutional
- OMG! Man punches Kangaroo in face to save dog – Watch video