Narendra Dabholkar assassinated like Gandhi: Maharashtra CM
Mumbai: Maharashtra Chief Minister Prithviraj Chavan on Wednesday hinted at the possibility of right-wing groups being behind the murder of anti-superstition campaigner Narendra Dabholkar when he equated his assassination with that of Mahatma Gandhi.
"Forces who could not tolerate Gandhiji...Who could not tolerate his views and silenced his voice... The same way forces who could not stand the power of Narendra Dabholkar`s views have silenced his voice by his brutal murder," he said.
Terming the incident as "very unfortunate", Chavan said the case has been handed over to Mumbai Crime Branch for investigation.
"Maharashtra government is committed to bringing the culprits and the conspirators to justice," he said.
The Chief Minister also appealed for calm and said nobody should take law into their hands.
Congress spokesperson Meem Afzal commented on Chavan`s remarks by saying that "when the Chief Minister is saying, he must be having some information about the killers. May be, he is right. But how can we confirm or deny it?”
Download the all new Zee News app for Android and iOS to stay up to date with latest headlines and news stories in Politics, Entertainment, Sports, Technology, Business and much more from India and around the world.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Watch: ISIS terrorist blown into pieces while bragging about his previous victory
- Trinamool Congress activist was part of Pak ISI spy ring?
- SP leader Azam Khan stirs fresh controversy, says RSS leaders are homosexuals
- WATCH: Pakistan vs England, 3rd T20: Complete highlights
- Priyanka Chopra’s sex scene from ‘Quantico’ goes viral – Watch video