Narendra Dabholkar assassinated like Gandhi: Maharashtra CM
Mumbai: Maharashtra Chief Minister Prithviraj Chavan on Wednesday hinted at the possibility of right-wing groups being behind the murder of anti-superstition campaigner Narendra Dabholkar when he equated his assassination with that of Mahatma Gandhi.
"Forces who could not tolerate Gandhiji...Who could not tolerate his views and silenced his voice... The same way forces who could not stand the power of Narendra Dabholkar`s views have silenced his voice by his brutal murder," he said.
Terming the incident as "very unfortunate", Chavan said the case has been handed over to Mumbai Crime Branch for investigation.
"Maharashtra government is committed to bringing the culprits and the conspirators to justice," he said.
The Chief Minister also appealed for calm and said nobody should take law into their hands.
Congress spokesperson Meem Afzal commented on Chavan`s remarks by saying that "when the Chief Minister is saying, he must be having some information about the killers. May be, he is right. But how can we confirm or deny it?”
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- UP polls: Top 5 highlights of PM Modi's speech in Bahraich
- NASA discovers seven Earth-like planets orbiting a single star
- Is Samajwadi Party-Congress alliance just a compulsion for Akhilesh Yadav?
- BMC election results 2017: Shiv Sena ahead as single largest party
- UP polls: When fans played spoilsport for SP star campaigner Dimple Yadav
- Reliance Jio Vs Airtel free data plan: A comparison
- BMC election 2017 results: As it happened
- How Kashmiris use children for 'meri jaan Pakistan' type 'freedom struggle' - WATCH
- WATCH: When Matthew Renshaw left everybody surprised by 'retiring ill' on Day 1 of India-England Test
- Maharashtra Civic Poll Results 2017: As it happened on Thursday