Narendra Dabholkar murder: Blurred CCTV footage fails to offer lead
Pune: The CCTV footage, recovered by cops immediately after murder of rationalist Narendra Dabholkar on Tuesday, has not yielded any concrete clues on the identity of the unknown assailants who gunned down the activist on a city bridge during a morning walk.
Police, who have recovered the video footage from CCTV systems operating at the establishments in the vicinity of the bridge, said it was "blurred and unclear" to offer any lead so far.
"We are still examining the CCTV footage which has only shown images of two motorbike riders. But it is blurred and unclear to establish identity", an official in-charge of the investigation said.
An eyewitness account of the incident had said that two youths aged between 25 and 30, had fled the crime scene riding a bike after firing shots at the 69-year-old anti-superstition activist. Police is also verifying the number plate details as given by the eyewitness to trace the vehicle.
"The investigations are on and so far no individual or organisation has been identified for involvement in the murder," he added.
Eight squads have been formed by Pune police crime branch to track down the killers who continue to be at large after more than 48 hours.
Meanwhile, a Mumbai police team has arrived in the city to offer "technical assistance" to their Pune counterparts in the investigation, sources said.
Maharashtra Chief Minister Prithviraj Chavan has announced an award of Rs 10 lakh to person giving information about the activist`s broad daylight murder that has once again highlighted the growing crime rate and deterioration of law and order situation in the city, which has been a witness to terror attacks and violence against women in recent years.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- 6 leaders were in contact with Dawood Ibrahim till 26/11: Report
- Rameswaram waits to give final salute to Dr Abdul Kalam
- DNA analysis of Yakub Memon's final moments in Nagpur Jail
- SC order on Yakub Memon huge disappointment, setback: Owaisi
- Last rites of Gurdaspur attack martyr Baljit Singh in Kapurthala
- APJ Abdul Kalam's funeral to be held in Rameswaram; PM Modi to attend
- Yakub Memon hanged in Nagpur jail: As it happened
- Has President Pranab Mukherjee rejected Yakub Memon's mercy plea?
- Yakub Memon's body handed over to family, tight security in Mumbai
- People storm to watch Salman Khan's 'Bajrangi Bhaijaan' in Pakistan, leave hall teary-eyed