Narendra Modi felicitates legendary singer Lata Mangeshkar
Zee Media Bureau
Mumbai: Gujarat Chief Minsiter Narendra Modi felicitated singing legend Lata Mangeshkar on Monday at Mahalaxmi Racecourse here on the completion of 51 years since the legendary singer sang the patriotic song “Ae Mere Vatan Ke Logon”.
"I did just one rehearsal for `Mere watan ke logo` and taped it. When the song was made, I never thought it would become so popular," Lata said.
This is the second time that Mangeshkar has shared the dais with the Bharatiya Janata Party`s (BJP) PM candidate Narendra Modi.
The felicitation was a part of the Shreshtha Bharat Divas celebrations here. Many celebrities and national figures along with more than one lakh people were present in the function.
While addressing the audience, Mangeshkar sang a small portion of the very famous patriotic song “Ae Mere Vatan Ke Logon”.
She had rendered the song exactly 51 years ago on January 27, 1963.
On January 27, 1963, Mangeshkar had sung the song, remembering all the martyrs who lost their lives defending the country, in the presence of the country`s first Prime Minister Jawaharlal Nehru in Delhi.
The song had moved Nehru to tears in a historic moment.
Over a hundred Param Vir Chakra, Maha Vir Chakra and other gallantry award winners were also felicitated in the event who had come here along with their families.
Last year, Modi had inaugurated Dinanath Mangeshkar Super Speciality Hospital here, dedicated to Mangeshkar`s father. While endorsing the BJP`s PM candidate Mangeshkar had said that she will vote for Modi.
However, today Mangeshkar said, "I don`t belong to any party, am not interested in politics. Politics and music are very different."
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- 24 dead after boat carrying 40 capsizes in river Ganga in Patna; many still missing
- My father wanted me to be a man of character: Navjot Singh Siddhu
- Dr Subhash Chandra Show: What characteristics define a true leader?
- Tourists flock to Manali as snowfall takes a short break
- Is Akhilesh Yadav overlooking Muslims as Mulayam Singh alleged?
- Abhishek Bachchan reveals the moment when Aishwarya Rai said 'yes' to him
- India vs England, 1st ODI: As it happened...
- India vs England, Pune ODI: MS Dhoni still the boss; convinces Virat Kohli with spot on DRS call — WATCH
- India vs England, 1st ODI: Ravichandran Aswhin steals the show with huge six — WATCH
- Petrol price hiked by 42 paisa per litre, diesel by Rs 1.03 a litre