Nashik onion growers shave heads in protest
Nashik: Several onion growers here on Thursday shaved their heads as part of their protests against the ban on the bulb`s exports.
Continuing their agitation, onion growers blocked the Mumbai-Agra national highway at Tehare near Dabhadi for half an hour. They shaved their heads demanding withdrawal of the Centre-imposed ban, which is causing heavy losses, police said.
Farmers also began a chain fast at Kalwan and Yeola tehsil towns in the district pressing for their demands and submitted a memorandum in this regard.
Meanwhile, all the 14 Agriculture Produce Market Committees (APMCs) remained closed on the fifth day today affecting auction of onions.
About seven lakh tonnes of onions lying in storage are under the threat of rotting.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- PM Narendra Modi's speech at Heart of Asia conference
- Aware of Chinese submarine deployment at Balochistan's Gwadar port, says Navy chief
- Like SAARC, should India boycott Pak in Heart of Asia conference?
- 'Heart of Asia' Conference begins in Amritsar; Sartaj Aziz to pay a visit on Sunday
- Iraqi army inches close to Baghdadi in Mosul- Report
- Rs 14,000 crore default case: Gujarat businessman detained, says money belongs to politicians, babus
- Newly-wed couple Yuvraj Singh and Hazel Keech perform `bhangra` at Goa airport – Viral video
- Gujarat man who disclosed Rs 14,000 crore unaccounted wealth goes missing
- RBI to issue new Rs 20, Rs 50 notes; old notes to remain legal tender
- Rahul Dravid heaps praise on Virat Kohli, R Ashwin; calls duo modern cricket legends