Nashik onion growers shave heads in protest
Nashik: Several onion growers here on Thursday shaved their heads as part of their protests against the ban on the bulb`s exports.
Continuing their agitation, onion growers blocked the Mumbai-Agra national highway at Tehare near Dabhadi for half an hour. They shaved their heads demanding withdrawal of the Centre-imposed ban, which is causing heavy losses, police said.
Farmers also began a chain fast at Kalwan and Yeola tehsil towns in the district pressing for their demands and submitted a memorandum in this regard.
Meanwhile, all the 14 Agriculture Produce Market Committees (APMCs) remained closed on the fifth day today affecting auction of onions.
About seven lakh tonnes of onions lying in storage are under the threat of rotting.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Watch - Huge fire breaks out at petrol pump in Kota, Rajasthan
- NSG now 'nine times' stronger; receives technological strength from 12 countries!
- RJD strongman Shahabuddin brought to Delhi
- Bihar: Congress leader Brajesh Pandey accused of running sex racket
- UP elections in third phase; voting on 69 seats of 12 districts
- 7th Pay Commission: Allowances committee raises HRA to 30%?
- Virat Kohli thanks sprint legend Usain Bolt for congratulating him on 'record' Puma deal
- Virat Kohli becomes first Indian sportsperson to sign Rs 100-crore endorsement deal
- IPL 2017 Auction: Reaction-filled Twitter erupts with emotions!
- Sony Xperia X gets a price cut of whopping Rs 14,000