Nashik onion growers shave heads in protest
Nashik: Several onion growers here on Thursday shaved their heads as part of their protests against the ban on the bulb`s exports.
Continuing their agitation, onion growers blocked the Mumbai-Agra national highway at Tehare near Dabhadi for half an hour. They shaved their heads demanding withdrawal of the Centre-imposed ban, which is causing heavy losses, police said.
Farmers also began a chain fast at Kalwan and Yeola tehsil towns in the district pressing for their demands and submitted a memorandum in this regard.
Meanwhile, all the 14 Agriculture Produce Market Committees (APMCs) remained closed on the fifth day today affecting auction of onions.
About seven lakh tonnes of onions lying in storage are under the threat of rotting.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Politicos mourn death of former president APJ Abdul Kalam, hail him as 'Missile Man of India'
- FORMER PRESIDENT OF INDIA APJ ABDUL KALAM PASSES AWAY
- Gurdaspur terror attack: Blow-by-blow account
- When UN declared Dr APJ Abdul Kalam's 79th birthday as World Students' Day
- Cricket series can't happen along with terror attacks: Anurag Thakur warns PCB