‘National anti-black magic bill required’
New Delhi: The Maharashtra Andhashraddha Nirmoolan Samiti is pressing for a country-level legislation against superstition and black magic on the lines of the Act in Maharashtra.
"We want a similar legislation on anti-superstition and black magic, the way it exists in Maharashtra," Mukta, daughter of Dr Narendra Dabholkar, who was killed by unidentified assailants in Pune last month, told reporters today.
Mukta and some ANS activists are here to press for the legislation and would be meeting leaders from different political parties. They said they intend to meet Congress vice president Rahul Gandhi and CPM leaders Prakash Karat and Sitaram Yechury over the issue.
"Anti-superstition is not restricted to Maharashtra alone. Due to low literacy level and lack of health services, the level of anti-superstition is higher in other states. If there is a country-wide legislation, more people could benefit from this," ANS executive president Avinash Patil said.
Days after the assassination of Dabholkar, the Maharashtra government passed the Maharashtra Prevention and Eradication of Human Sacrifices and other inhuman evil and aghori practices, black magic Ordinance, 2013.
The ANS activists expressed anguish over the progress of investigations in Dabholkar`s murder case. "It’s been a month after Dr Dabholkar was assassinated and there has been no arrest, so there is lot of anxiety over what is happening," Mukta said.
Asked whether ANS has demanded a CBI probe into the murder, she said, "We have not asked for a probe by any other agency. The Maharashtra police is investigating the case and we hope they arrest the culprits soon."
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Missed the dance of American President Donald Trump? - Watch it here
- Pawan, a BE student develops smart dustbin -Watch
- Train accident in Andhra Pradesh leaves many people dead
- UP Assembly Elections: Akhilesh Yadav releases party's manifesto
- More than 9 lakh people participated in the oath-taking ceremony of Donald Trump
- 7th Pay Commission: Central govt employees expect Committee on Allowances report in February
- India vs England, 3rd ODI: MS Dhoni felicitated at Eden Gardens — VIDEOS INSIDE
- Jallikattu protests LIVE: Vehicles near Ice House Police Station set on fire; Tamil Nadu govt to table bill on bull-taming sport at 5 pm
- Naresh Agrawal breaks silence on leaving Akhilesh Yadav-led Samajwadi Party and joining BJP
- Bigots at it again! Mohammed Shami called un-Islamic for posting picture with dog