‘National anti-black magic bill required’
New Delhi: The Maharashtra Andhashraddha Nirmoolan Samiti is pressing for a country-level legislation against superstition and black magic on the lines of the Act in Maharashtra.
"We want a similar legislation on anti-superstition and black magic, the way it exists in Maharashtra," Mukta, daughter of Dr Narendra Dabholkar, who was killed by unidentified assailants in Pune last month, told reporters today.
Mukta and some ANS activists are here to press for the legislation and would be meeting leaders from different political parties. They said they intend to meet Congress vice president Rahul Gandhi and CPM leaders Prakash Karat and Sitaram Yechury over the issue.
"Anti-superstition is not restricted to Maharashtra alone. Due to low literacy level and lack of health services, the level of anti-superstition is higher in other states. If there is a country-wide legislation, more people could benefit from this," ANS executive president Avinash Patil said.
Days after the assassination of Dabholkar, the Maharashtra government passed the Maharashtra Prevention and Eradication of Human Sacrifices and other inhuman evil and aghori practices, black magic Ordinance, 2013.
The ANS activists expressed anguish over the progress of investigations in Dabholkar`s murder case. "It’s been a month after Dr Dabholkar was assassinated and there has been no arrest, so there is lot of anxiety over what is happening," Mukta said.
Asked whether ANS has demanded a CBI probe into the murder, she said, "We have not asked for a probe by any other agency. The Maharashtra police is investigating the case and we hope they arrest the culprits soon."
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Indian Army conducts surgical strikes across LoC: Watch DGMO Lt Gen Ranbir Singh's PC
- Indian Army targets terror camps across LoC; Pak PM Sharif condemns
- Pak forces will teach Zee News what real surgical strike is: Hafiz Saeed
- 7 terror camps destroyed by Indian Army in surgical strikes
- DNA: Indian Army carries out surgical strikes across LoC
- Hafiz Saeed threatens Zee News, says Pak forces will teach what real surgical strikes are
- What is surgical strike and how it is conducted - MUST KNOW for every Indian
- Pak postpones SAARC Summit after five member states pull out of conference: As it happened
- SALUTE! Brave Indian army commandos give befitting reply to Pak-sponsored terrorists
- Surgical strikes across LoC in Pakistan were filmed, videos kept as proof