Navi Mumbai Airport gets nod to take-off
Mumbai: After years of uncertainty, the Union Environment and Forest Ministry on Monday gave full clearance for the construction of a new international airport in Navi Mumbai – aimed to decongest the choked Chatrapati Shivaji International Airport.
The announcement was made by Union Environment Minister Jairam Ramesh accompanied by Maharashtra Chief Minister Prithviraj Chavan and Union Civil Aviation minister Prafful Patel in a press conference here.
Announcing the decision, Ramesh said, “The Ministry of Environment and Forests has given full clearance for the construction of an ecologically sound, energy efficient internationally level airport in Navi Mumbai, which will be equipped with the state-of-the art technology. The clearance has been given following assurances from the state government of Maharashtra and the Civil Aviation Ministry for the adequate and immediate reddressal of over 32 conditions laid down by us as a prerequisite for the construction of the airport in Navi Mumbai.”
“The construction can start today,” Ramesh told a visibly elated audience.
The new airport is considered as very crucial for the economy of Mumbai and Maharashtra as a whole as the lack of space in the existing airport had come to be recognised as a great impediment in the future growth of the commercial capital of India.
The site for the project has been the subject of intense debate because of environmental concerns. The Environment Ministry had opposed destruction of a large area of mangroves, diversion of two rivers in the area and the flattening of a hillock to make way for the runway.
However, the Environment Ministry’s Expert Advisory Committee (EAC) had, last week, recommended that the proposal be cleared. The EAC recommendation followed a series of assurances given by project developer CIDCO (City and Industrial Development Corporation of Maharashtra) to make certain design changes and implement other suggestions to minimise the environmental impact.
After the governmental clearance to the project, the bidding process for the construction of Navi Mumbai airport is expected to begin by the year–end.
He said the bidding process and all the legal and financial aspects of the project would be in the public- private partnership pattern followed for airports in Delhi, Mumbai, Hyderabad and Bangalore.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Vadodara: Policemen seen dancing with bar girls
- PM Modi speaks at Golden Jubilee celebrations of poet Dinkar’s works
- Zee Media Exclusive: Kangana, Madhavan talk about their film 'Tanu Weds Manu Returns'
- Coal scam: Naveen Jindal, Madhu Koda and others get bail
- One year of Modi govt: Arun Jaitley addresses press conference
- DNA: Harmful chemicals found in Maggi, Nestle India still in denial mode
- ISIS executes Syrian fighter using anti-tank rocket launcher
- CM Kejriwal shortlists 39 'unwanted' IAS officers in Delhi
- Zee Media Exclusive interview with Congress leader Kamal Nath
- Columbia student takes rape-protest mattress to graduation
- Mumbai: One injured in shootout at Film City
- DNA: Modi-led NDA govt's hits and misses in one year
- Delhi: Car catches fire after crash, one dead
- Gujjars revive agitation for 5% quota in jobs, block rail track
- Manthan: Expert's tips to avoid stomach gas, constipation
- Jayalalithaa makes public appearance, meets Governor: As it happened
- IPL 2015, Qualifier 2: CSK vs RCB - As it happened...
- India to soon have its own space shuttle!
- Tanu Weds Manu Returns movie review: Brilliant execution, superb performance!
- Kejriwal slams notification on LG's powers, says Modi running Delhi govt through back door
- Wbbse.org 10th Madhyamik Pariksha Results 2015: West Bengal Board (wbresults.nic.in) Class 10th, WB MP Results 2015 to be announced today shortly
- Manohar Parrikar meets troops at Siachen base camp
- PM Narendra Modi graces Digvijay Singh's son wedding reception
- Rahul Gandhi to pressurise govt to act on one-rank-one-pension issue
- Businessman shot next to Amitabh Bachchan's shooting location in Mumbai Film City
- West Bengal Board (wbbse.org & wbresults.nic.in) Class 10th Madhyamik Pariksha (MP) Results 2015 to be announced today at 10 AM
- Rajasthan Board RBSE 12th Inter Results 2015: BSER Ajmer (rajeduboard.nic.in & rajresults.nic.in) Senior Secondary Class 12th Science & Commerce Exam Results 2015 to be declared today at 2 PM
- RBSE 12th Results 2015 (rajeduboard.nic.in & rajresults.nic.in): Rajasthan Board BSER Ajmer Senior Secondary Class 12th XII Intermediate Science & Commerce Exam Results 2015 to be declared today on May 22
- After land bill, net neutrality, Rahul Gandhi to fight for ex-servicemen now
- CBSE 12th Results 2015: CBSE Board Cbse.nic.in & cbseresults.nic class 12th XII board exam Results 2015 date announced