Naxals ambush CRPF party; IEDs, landmines recovered
Gadchiroli: Heavily-armed Naxals on Monday ambushed a CRPF patrol party in the jungles along the Chhattisgarh and Maharashtra border resulting in exchange of gunfire between the two sides.
Security sources said the paramilitary squad was ambushed around 7 AM in Sirpur village of Pendri in the district.
The CRPF squad, after a two-hour long gunbattle, seized three live Improvised Explosive Devices (IEDs), two landmines, one claymore mine and a Motorola wireless set, they said.
No casualties occurred on the security forces` side but it is suspected that Maoists suffered few injuries amongst their ranks, the sources said.
The force has sent in reinforcements to the area and a joint team along with state police are combing the area.
The border-axis around Pendri in this district has seen numerous ambushes by Naxals and this is the fourth big such attack this year.
Last year in November, 13 CRPF personnel were killed here when they were moving out for an operational exercise.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Is Pakistan behind increasing train accidents in India?
- DNA: Beaten by mob in Kolkata, US NRI vows never to return in India
- When will democracy get freedom from dynasty politics?
- Delhi: Taxi driver dies as BMW rams into car near IIT
- DNA: Has bad time started for American 'media' after Donald Trump became US President?
- WATCH: Epic Staredown between Goldberg, The Undertaker and Brock Lesnar at WWE Raw
- Jallikattu stir: As it happened on Monday
- Naresh Agrawal breaks silence on leaving Akhilesh Yadav-led Samajwadi Party and joining BJP
- India vs England, 3rd ODI: MS Dhoni felicitated at Eden Gardens — VIDEOS INSIDE
- International Space Station – When, where and how to spot ISS