Naxals building memorials in Gadchiroli?
Gadchiroli: Discovery of a memorial, believed to be built by Maoists, in a tribal hamlet of the district has triggered speculations that such structures might have come up in remote areas of the naxal-infested district in east Maharashtra.
The `memorial` was found out by a team of journalists who visited Nadekal village in Korchi tehsil yesterday after reports about its existence were doing rounds, especially in the aftermath of the ultras having observed a `Martyrs Week` from July 28 to August 3.
The cement structure painted in red stood right in front of a lone Zilla Parishad School in the village.
When asked about the memorial, Gadchiroli SP Mohammad Haq neither confirmed nor denied existence about any such structure.
"We have received the information about the memorial just now. Let us verify. If any truth is found in it, then we will take appropriate action," he said.
The discovery of the memorial has triggered speculations that there could be many such structures having been built by insurgents in the areas bordering Chhattisgarh.
Haq, however, refused to comment on the speculation.
Villagers were also not forthcoming about who could be behind construction of the memorial.
"We do not know anything about the construction or who built it. If the news is published, police will come here and beat us up for no fault of ours as they did it in past also," they said on condition of anonymity.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Sheena murder: Trio to be taken to Raigad to re-construct crime scene
- Mikhail emailed sister Sheena Bora's resignation letter: Report
- Raksha Bandhan: Sushma Swaraj ties Rakhi to Venkaiah Naidu
- Shiv Sena announces award of 2 lakh for Hindu families with 5 kids
- Watch: Wife catches husband with his girlfriend at Goa Airport
- Women's hockey team seals Olympic spot after 36 years, creates history on Dhyan Chand's birthday
- Sushma Swaraj ties rakhi to M Venkaiah Naidu
- Know box-office report of Saif-Katrina's 'Phantom'
- Indrani Mukerjea's son Mikhail emailed Sheena Bora's resignation letter
- Ten interesting facts about hockey legend Dhyan Chand