Naxals burn Gram Panchayat building, wreck BSNL tower
Gondia: Maoists from Darekasa Area Committee set on fire the Gram Panchayat building at the remote Toyogondi village and destroyed a cabin of BSNL tower at Darekasa (Jamakudo) on Tuesday night.
The violence came ahead of Wednesday`s nationwide strike call given by the ultras.
A truck driver got killed when his vehicle overturned between Darekasa and Jamakudo, allegedly after the Maoists shot a tyre of the truck to stop it.
According to police, a group of armed naxals first vandalised the Gram Panchayat building and later set it ablaze.
They also stuck handwritten pamphlets on the trees, electric polls and house walls, asking people to make the bandh successful.
A truck carrying food grains and coming from Bhatapara in neighbouring Chhattisgarh and heading for Balaghat in Madhya Pradesh overturned between Darekasa and Jamakudo; driver Eshwariprasad Teklal Hirendrawar (38), a resident of Bharveli in Balaghat district, was killed.
Locals said that Hirendrawar might have speeded the truck when the naxals tried to stop him, resulting in the accident.
Truck`s tyre had been shot, they said. However, Superintendent of Police Chandrakishore Meena said the incident was probably an accident.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- PM Modi visits Lord Jagannath temple at Puri
- Boyfriend murders DU student Arzu Singh; hides body in his house for three days
- International Fleet Review: India shows off naval prowess in "Operation Demo"
- Can comments on social media against politicians land you in jail?
- Declared unfit for employment, man invents cost-effective electric car called Pixie!
- PM Narendra Modi never disappoints his supporters, here's another example - see pic
- Year of the Monkey: Know how lucky you are according to Chinese calendar!
- WATCH: When PM Modi took his supporters by surprise, came to meet them standing on car's side foot step
- India vs Sri Lanka 2016, 1st T20I: Squads, date, time, TV listing, live streaming
- After prayers at Jagannath Temple, PM Narendra Modi inaugurates IOCL project at Paradip refinery