Naxals facing the heat of persistent actions: Police
Mumbai: Naxals are facing the heat of persistent actions taken by security forces in their stronghold Gadchiroli district in Maharashtra, a senior police official said.
"There is now a constant, persistent pressure on the Naxals, with repeated encounters and operations. Several Naxals have also been arrested in the recent past," Gadchiroli Additional Superintendent of Police Rahul Shrirame told a news agency over phone.
Many Naxals have also laid down arms in the last few months, he said.
Citing the recent wedding of two ex-naxals, who were married off at a ceremony with a feast, organised by the police, Shrirame said, "We are encouraging surrenders, which will reduce the Naxal strength," he said.
The groom, Nainguda resident `Santosh` alias Newra Kidi Kola (24), was the commander of platoon number seven in Bhamragad area and deputy commander of platoon number three in the Kasansur area, while the bride, Yechli village resident `Nirmala` alias Shanta Penta Kudyami (23), was a member of the Perimili dalam.
Police department printed cards and also invited people for the ceremony, held at Aheri in Gadchiroli district.
"This effort is for creating awareness among naxals to come out of their movement and join the main stream to lead a common life. Stress is on surrender and rehabilitation of naxals so that more unsatisfied, misled naxals leave the movement," he said.
"We are engaged in a two-pronged battle with Naxals. On one hand, we are fighting with bullets, while the other battle is on a psychological level," he said.
When asked about the killing of six naxals in Gadchiroli last month, Shrirame said, "We are on alert in view of chances of a retaliatory attack, to avenge killing of six naxals last month."
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- There will be earthquake if I speak on demonetisation: Rahul Gandhi
- Zee Media Exclusive: A reality check on public opinion on notes ban!
- Panel discussion on the decision of demonetisation
- DNA: Is political system root cause of corruption in the country?
- Panel discussion on the decision of demonetisation Part II
- Mongolia seeks India's financial aid, Chinese official media says it's 'insane'
- SC asks govt if demonetisation was confidential; to judge if policy unconstitutional
- OMG! Man punches Kangaroo in face to save dog – Watch video
- PoK erupts with 'azadi' slogans; Pakistan Army brutally thrashes protesters
- Aamir Khan as Mahavir Singh Phogat in 'Dangal' title track looks phenomenal!