Naxals facing the heat of persistent actions: Police
Mumbai: Naxals are facing the heat of persistent actions taken by security forces in their stronghold Gadchiroli district in Maharashtra, a senior police official said.
"There is now a constant, persistent pressure on the Naxals, with repeated encounters and operations. Several Naxals have also been arrested in the recent past," Gadchiroli Additional Superintendent of Police Rahul Shrirame told a news agency over phone.
Many Naxals have also laid down arms in the last few months, he said.
Citing the recent wedding of two ex-naxals, who were married off at a ceremony with a feast, organised by the police, Shrirame said, "We are encouraging surrenders, which will reduce the Naxal strength," he said.
The groom, Nainguda resident `Santosh` alias Newra Kidi Kola (24), was the commander of platoon number seven in Bhamragad area and deputy commander of platoon number three in the Kasansur area, while the bride, Yechli village resident `Nirmala` alias Shanta Penta Kudyami (23), was a member of the Perimili dalam.
Police department printed cards and also invited people for the ceremony, held at Aheri in Gadchiroli district.
"This effort is for creating awareness among naxals to come out of their movement and join the main stream to lead a common life. Stress is on surrender and rehabilitation of naxals so that more unsatisfied, misled naxals leave the movement," he said.
"We are engaged in a two-pronged battle with Naxals. On one hand, we are fighting with bullets, while the other battle is on a psychological level," he said.
When asked about the killing of six naxals in Gadchiroli last month, Shrirame said, "We are on alert in view of chances of a retaliatory attack, to avenge killing of six naxals last month."
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Congress workers blow up pigeons by blasting them inside rockets
- Beef row: Lalu Prasad Yadav contradicts his statements
- Dr Subhash Chandra Show: Does a corrupt govt influence the mindset of the youth?
- Lalu Yadav's son Tejasvi Yadav wants to change the face of Bihar education
- Indrani Mukerjea attains consciousness; is now out of danger
- Indrani Mukerjea regains consciousness, out of danger, says hospital
- Dadri lynching case: Sadhvi Prachi makes provocative remark, says beef-eaters deserve such fate
- Modi must be punished, he has cheated people: Ram Jethmalani
- Was Giani Zail Singh planning to topple Rajiv Gandhi govt in 1987?
- Is Salman Khan - Aamir Khan friendship over?