NCP against using `Hindu Hriday Samraat` in BMC hospital name
Mumbai: NCP on Thursday opposed the use of `Hindu Hriday Samraat`, the epithet for late Shiv Sena chief Balasaheb Thackeray, in naming BMC`s newly-built trauma care hospital at suburban Jogeshwari here.
"Our objection is to the word "Hindu Hriday Samraat", as it depicts the political agenda of the Shiv Sena. We have no objection if it is named after Balasaheb Thackeray. We do not want them to highlight the political agenda of their party in naming the hospital which is built from taxpayers` money," party spokesperson Nawab Malik told reporters.
The NCP`s move to counter Shiv Sena comes a day after Sena group leader in the Brihanmumbai Municipal Corporation expressed his reservation to rename the Kandivali Sports Complex as `Sachin Tendulkar Gymkhana` by Mumbai Cricket Association President Sharad Pawar.
"A wrong precedent will be set if the epithet is used to name the hospital. The word `Hindu Hriday Samraat`(Emperor of Hindu Hearts) should be removed," Malik added.
The senior NCP leader also asked the civic body to recruit doctors, paramedical staff and other necessary equipments like MRI and CT-scan machine to facilitate patients coming for treatment there.
Thackeray, who championed the cause of Marathi `sons-of-the-soil`, in early 80s, had raised a veritable army of street fighters whom he used to obtain jobs for the Maharashtrian youth in numerous textile and other industrial units dotting Bombay, earning the epithet in the process.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- ATM virus attack: Users of debit cards under threat!
- J&K govt suspends 12 officials on anti-national activities
- Security guard beats woman journalist publicly in Pakistan
- Bhubaneswar fire: Owner of SUM Hospital surrenders
- Pakistan violates ceasefire in J&K's Hiranagar; 7 Pak Rangers killed, BSF jawan injured
- MS Dhoni reacts in astonishment as Axar Patel takes a stunning one-handed catch - VIDEO
- BSP shrugs off Rita Bahuguna 's jump; says BJP will still face defeat in UP polls
- Navjot Singh Sidhu out on zero to Waqar Younis in 1990 – The match Kapil Sharma keeps talking about
- MS Dhoni or Virat Kohli? Here's Virender Sehwag's best ever reply
- Pierce Brosnan 'deeply shocked and saddened' because of Pan Masala brand ad