NCP against using `Hindu Hriday Samraat` in BMC hospital name
Mumbai: NCP on Thursday opposed the use of `Hindu Hriday Samraat`, the epithet for late Shiv Sena chief Balasaheb Thackeray, in naming BMC`s newly-built trauma care hospital at suburban Jogeshwari here.
"Our objection is to the word "Hindu Hriday Samraat", as it depicts the political agenda of the Shiv Sena. We have no objection if it is named after Balasaheb Thackeray. We do not want them to highlight the political agenda of their party in naming the hospital which is built from taxpayers` money," party spokesperson Nawab Malik told reporters.
The NCP`s move to counter Shiv Sena comes a day after Sena group leader in the Brihanmumbai Municipal Corporation expressed his reservation to rename the Kandivali Sports Complex as `Sachin Tendulkar Gymkhana` by Mumbai Cricket Association President Sharad Pawar.
"A wrong precedent will be set if the epithet is used to name the hospital. The word `Hindu Hriday Samraat`(Emperor of Hindu Hearts) should be removed," Malik added.
The senior NCP leader also asked the civic body to recruit doctors, paramedical staff and other necessary equipments like MRI and CT-scan machine to facilitate patients coming for treatment there.
Thackeray, who championed the cause of Marathi `sons-of-the-soil`, in early 80s, had raised a veritable army of street fighters whom he used to obtain jobs for the Maharashtrian youth in numerous textile and other industrial units dotting Bombay, earning the epithet in the process.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Afzal Guru row: JNU Students' Union president Kanhaiya Kumar arrested
- Missing girl from Ghaziabad, Dipti Sarna returns; reunited with family
- DNA: Analysis on actions taken against students protesting at JNU
- DNA: Analysis on actions taken against students protesting at JNU - Part II
- Watch: How students at JNU showcased anti-India spirit! - Part II
- Kumar Vishwas' birthday bash: Ajit Doval, BJP and RSS leaders attend; Arvind Kejriwal missing
- Afzal Guru row: JNU students union president Kanhaiya Kumar arrested by Delhi Police
- Snapdeal employee Dipti Sarna reaches home, police and family remain tight-lipped over her recovery
- Was abducted, blindfolded for four hours; Snapdeal employee Dipti Sarna narrates her ordeal
- Fitoor movie review: Tabu overpowers, Katrina Kaif, Aditya Roy Kapur leave a lasting impact!