NCP attended meet to check `communalism`, clarifies Pawar
Mumbai: Amidst a flutter about NCP sharing a platform at a Left-led political convention in Delhi yesterday, Sharad Pawar said that the participation was with an intention of keeping the "communal forces" at bay.
"The NCP will be part of the UPA and contest elections together," NCP chief said on the sidelines of a function at Virar, in the adjoining Thane district on Thursday.
Eyebrows were raised in political corridors after NCP leader D P Tripathi attended the Convention for People`s Unity Against Communalism convened by the Communist Party of India (Marxist) in New Delhi yesterday.
Incidentally, the NCP was the only UPA constituent to attend the convention. NCP leader and Union Minister for Heavy Industries Praful Patel had said yesterday that his party has kept "all options open" and its alliance with the Congress is limited to two states, namely Maharashtra and Gujarat.
However, Pawar seems to have diluted the party`s stand and said that the party is with the Congress. Maharashtra NCP spokesperson Nawab Malik said that his party associated with a non-UPA alliance, in order to explore options of new partners after next year`s Lok Sabha elections.
"There is a possibility of a fractured mandate and in such a scenario, we have been trying to tap possible partners to be part of the UPA," he said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Missed the dance of American President Donald Trump? - Watch it here
- Pawan, a BE student develops smart dustbin -Watch
- Train accident in Andhra Pradesh leaves many people dead
- UP Assembly Elections: Akhilesh Yadav releases party's manifesto
- More than 9 lakh people participated in the oath-taking ceremony of Donald Trump
- 7th Pay Commission: Central govt employees expect Committee on Allowances report in February
- Cuttack ODI: Umpire Kumar Dharmasena messes up DRS review, twitter couldn't stop trolling
- Yuvraj Singh's wife Hazel Keech suggests new middle name for hubby Yuvi following Cuttack heroics
- India vs England, 3rd ODI: MS Dhoni felicitated at Eden Gardens — VIDEOS INSIDE
- Bigots at it again! Mohammed Shami called un-Islamic for posting picture with dog